Is a Clitoral Hood Reduction Usually Included in the Price of a Labiaplasty?

If not, how much does it usually increase the price by? Also, is there a way to make the labia minora thinner (as well as shorter) during a labiaplasty? And would the trim or wedge method be best to achieve this?

Clitoral hood reduction prices

+2

In my practice a clitoral hood reduction is a separate procedure with a separate fee.  The labiaplasty is a complementary but different procedure on the adjacent anatomic area.

Clitoral hood reduction pricing

+2

I routinely include some reduction of the clitoral hood in my labiaplasty price.  However, if you need major reduction of your clitoral hood due to significant protrusion, bulk, or length, then I would perform a clitoropexy with a clitoral hood reduction. This procedure takes an extra hour and consists of raising the clitoral hood, repositioning the clitoris, and then reducing the bulk, length, and size of the hood.  I invented this technique about seven years ago and have done it about 200 times with excellent results.  I have not yet published the technique, which requires the surgeon the know the anatomy extensively.  No change in clitoral sensation occurs. Because of the extra time required, there is an extra cost for this procedure.

Sincerely,

Dr. Gary Alter

Gary J. Alter, MD

Clitoral hood reduction is only done during a labioplasty if it is necessary

+1

Thank you for your question. A clitoral hood reduction is not done routinely and labioplasty. A clitoral hood reduction is only included when the patient requests they clitoral hood reduction when excessive hooding is present and the patient hopes to increase clitoral sensitivity.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

+1

It can be done in conjunction and is included in the price.  The labia can be made thinner as well as shorter.  Either method can be utilized based upon patient preference.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Clitoral hood reduction and labiaplasty

+1

Clitoral hood reduction can be performed during a labiaplasty in some cases, depending on the severity of the clitoral hood redundancy. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Clitoral hood reduction at the time of labiaplasty

+1

An additional fee may be charged for clitoral hood reduction. It really depends on the surgeon (some do one fee that includes all, others do a more a la carte type of pricing). Even if your surgeon does not increase his/her fee, it may simply cost more because anesthesia and operating room fees are based on the time it takes for the surgery to be completed, and adding clitoral hood reduction does increase your time in the OR even if that increase is small. To answer your second question, yes you can make the labia minora thinner by taking some of the tissue below the skin out, but typically the goal is to reduce the length and preserve the deeper tissue and nerves as much as possible. Removing too much can be a big problem, both for cosmetic and functional reasons, and is hard to correct. Also keep in mind this tissue tends to thin out and shrink with age anyway. Lastly, I prefer an extended or modified wedge technique. The trim method theoretically puts you at higher risk of pain along the scar, scar contracture, risk of over-resection, and abnormal appearance to the labia. The wedge technique can actually refer to a number of different techniques, including a simple wedge or a modified/extended wedge. I personally like the modified/extended wedge because it orients the incisions in a way that they are more hidden and less likely to contract, and it maintains a more natural looking appearance, while still effectively reducing the excess labia. 

Anita Patel, MD

Clitoral Hood and Labiaplasty Contouring

+1

In my practice, the cost of adjusting the clitoral hood is included in the price of the procedure.  While most women don't need adjustment of the hood, in some women that area of skin gets floopy and loose.  Its important to limit that removal to preserve normal sexual fuction of the clitorus and not overexpose it.

The type of resection of the extra labial minora depends on the shape and amount of the deformity and the experiences of the surgeon.  Sometimes I remove the extra and reconstruct one side differently than the other because they are shaped differently. Lots of different approaches work, though, and there is no one right or wrong way to do labiaplasty. I hope this helps.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Hood reduction and labiaplasty

+1

can easily be done at the same time.  In my practice, I do not charge a separate fee at this time.  As you can see, each practice varies but I look at how much more time it takes and what is required before I consider additional fees.

Curtis Wong, MD

Labiaplasty

+1

Thank you for your labiaplasty question. 

• Clitoral hood reduction takes more time and has an additional fee.
  • The labia minora are usually quite thin.
  • They may thicken from chronic irritation which may need treatment. Reducing labia minora thickness can be done but is rarely needed.
  • Surgery reduces the length and height of the labia minora. The technique depends on the problem and includes W and Z plasties.
  • Fees in super-rich areas are usually higher than elsewhere.

Hope this helps!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Clitoral Hood Reduction and Labiaplasty

+1

At least in my practice, clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy) is a seperate procedure with an additional fee.  Hoodectomy requires extra precision working around the very important and sensitive clitoris and thus commands an extra charge.  When done correctly, it is very satisfying for the patient for both appearance and stimulation purposes.  When done by itself I charge $3000 - $3500, but when done in combination with labiaplasty I charge only an additional $1500.  Glad to help... twitter@drryanstanton

Ryan Stanton, MD