1 week post op of Rhinoplasty, the recovery seemed to be improving until today I have nosebleeds. Is this typical?

I went to work, my nose started to drip bright red blood from one nostril. I figured it would be temporary, however it has not stopped for 4 hours now. I get on/off dripping from the other nostril. It is a bright red blood. I'm also coughing some up and spitting blood every few minutes. I'm not sure what to do. My doctor is in surgery, I'm supposed to go see him tomorrow. Is this typical? I've probably gone through 35-40 gauze pads, each packed bloody red.

+1
In this situation, you should always be evaluated by your surgeon.

Nosebleeds Post Rhinoplasty

+1
Yes. Do not worry if you are experiencing nose bleeds at a much higher rate than normal, even after the initial week following your nose job. Nosebleeds after a rhinoplasty are generally triggered from dryness concentrated in the nostrils, and can occur anywhere from directly after surgery to a few weeks following surgery. If you feel as if your nosebleeds are occurring at a faster than normal rate, feel free to contact me and schedule an office visit so I can evaluate your situation in person.

Sam Rizk, MD

Rhinoplasty nosebleeds

+1
Some bleeding after rhinoplasty surgery is normal especially within the first 7-10 days.  Your bleeding should be  evaluated by your physician and can probably be easily corrected.  If he is in surgery, he should have an answering service that can connect you to him.   I would expect he would want  to talk to you about this.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Post op epistaxis, nasal bleeding, post op

+1
Hello, I would suggest that you contact the original treating surgeon as he/she should be aware of the situation and make recommendations.  I would double check to make sure that you are not taking any NSAIDS like Motrin or Aspirin.  Herbal medications can also be an issue as well such as Vitamin E, Vitamin D, fish oil etc.  There may be a small area that is irritated from an intra-nasal splint or from some area elewhere that was operated on.  It is hard to say without an actual examination of the inside of the nasal cavity.  I do suggest that you take an appointment with the surgeon to have this examined.

Michael A. Carron, MD
Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nosebleeds after rhinoplasty should be reported to your surgeon.

+1
Depending on what was done internally with a rhinoplasty nasal bleeding is not totally unexpected. In any event it should be reported to your surgeon.

Nasal bleeding after a rhinoplasty

+1
If you have persistent nasal bleeding after a rhinoplasty you may need to be seen by your surgeon as soon as possible.  

Excessive bleeding after rhinoplasty surgery

+1
A small amount of bleeding is normal and expected in the first few days after rhinoplasty.  However, 35-40 gauze pads is excessive, and should be evaluated by your surgeon in a timely manner.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Nose bleed one week after rhinoplasty

+1
It´s common to have some bleeding a week after rhinoplasty but only for a short time. Minor bleeding shouldn´t cause a problem, but  I recommend that you go see your doctor for an evaluation just to be safe.

Alfonso Gonzalez Cepeda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Nasal bleeding after rhinoplasty

+1
There can be a bit of bleeding in the first week after rhinoplasty, however if the bleeding will not stop and your surgeon is not available you might have to visit the emergency room for help with the situation.

Nose bleed after rhinoplasty

+1
Nose bleeds after rhinoplasty are common but usually only last for a short period of time.  You should see your surgeon for evaluation if the bleeding persists.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD 

Donald Nunn, MD