Hot Climate and Travel After Tummy Tuck?

8 weeks post op with normal surgery and recovery. No complications. I was 4lbs up from pre surgery weight and arrived in a tropical location this week and my weight jumped up 5lbs in a week and I feel very swollen. I am more active and it is very hot and humid. Is the weight gain swelling related? Am I doing damage?

8 weeks after tummy tuck and travel to hot climate

There is still swelling in the abdominal area 8 weeks after a tummy tuck. Exercise and increased activity that occurs during travel will most certainly increase swelling. If you wear a good compression garment this should reduce the swelling.  Also wearing compression garments in hot climates can cause you to over heat and be very uncomfortable. Try a light weight garment. Prolonged swelling, prolongs recovery but should not cause any damage.  

Montclair Plastic Surgeon

39 South Fullerton Ave
Montclair, NJ 07042

Eight weeks after abdominoplasty most travel should be fine.

I don't think there will be any harm to the operation by traveling in the heat. You may want to wait fillers cooler weather for the sake of comfort.

365 East Paces Ferry Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30305

Fluctuations in weight after an abdominoplasty

Fluctuations in weight after an abdominoplasty would not be unusual.  Travel could certainly cause these variations and I would not be too concerned about it.  

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

Based on your profession, I am sure you can understand that specific adbvice would require in-person examination. However, unless you have developed a late seroma, it is  unlikely that any “damage” has occurred.  If you are traveling with or have access to a physician, physical examination may be helpful.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Travel related swelling after tummy tuck

Whenever you go to a warm or tropical climate, you are more likely to retain water, particularly if you consume alcoholic beverages or salt-laden food.  Try to cut back on the salt and liquor and remember that a long flight will also cause fluid retention.  I would not consider this to be related to your abdominoplasty without additional information.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Post Operative Tummy Tuck

I would think that at 8 weeks you would be OK to travel and do what you like.  It is normal to put on some extra weight when travelling to hot climates and getting some extra swelling.

Stephen Salerno

Stephen Salerno, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

767 Mt Alexander Road
Moonee Ponds, VIC 3039

Unlikely that you are doing any damage. I don't have a clue about the weight change and swelling. If the skin feels like a "water bed" I would suspect a fluid collection and would contact your surgeon for advice. 

All the best. 

1110 112th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004