Sculptra Mixed at Time of Injection, Did I Waste my Money?

Doctor had nurse shaking vials vigorously for a long time, I could see bubles and sand like substance on bottom, Doctor proceeded to inject with needle, afterwards, nurse was told to massage my face for 15 minutes. Research I have done suggest to mix in advance 1 to 3 days before injecting, Concerns me, my face was very swelled, painfull for 4 weeks and my lip now droops on left side, seeing the nurse shake the vial makes me believe it was not pre-mixed. Thoughts?

Sculptra Injections

+1

Thank you for your question. We mix ours 48 hours prior to injecting, and we do not shake them, we spin them and they mix much better.  If not mixed, it will not flow out of the syringe.  If the lip droops, it could just be a little edema and nerve pressure which should improve in a week or so.   You can ask them when the product was reconstituted.  It is different at each practice, but the most common method is at least 24 hours prior mixing or more.  The Sculptra education programs are good at providing information to get users to practice the lowest risk safest  methods. I hope this helps!

Bay Area Dermatologist

Sculptra preparation

+1

Normally, the fluid to reconstitute Sculptra is added prior to the injection.  I would say in most cases, this is done at least the day before it is to be used.  Just prior to injecting the Sculptra, the vial does need to be agitated to help bring the product into a well mixed suspension.  Your description of your treatment sounds as it should be.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

When to pre-mix Sculptra

+1

Sculptra is supplied in glass vials and is typically reconstituted with 5 cc's of sterile water at least overnight and preferably one to two days prior to use. Then, at the time of injection, an additional 3 to 5 cc's is added and vigorously mixed or shaken. It is most likely your Sculptra was correctly pre-mixed and you were observing the second step of mixing just prior to the injections. You should contact your injecting physician to discuss your other concerns.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon