I'm a Nail Tech, when Can I Go Back to Work After Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation?

I am a full time nail tech, I was wondering when is the earliest I can go back to work and should I avoid doin pedicures until 2 weeks or 6 weeks post op?

Listen to your body

+1

Patients certainly vary as to their recovery process. Most plastic surgeons will provide guidelines for return to work, although this depends significantly on the patient's activity levels and the individual's pain tolerance. One to two weeks is probably average for thesse recommendations.  I tell my patients that the rate limiting factor will not be the pain as much as it will be how tired they feel.  I am hardly worried about popping sutures because pain will usually limit activity, but straining may cause bleeding. Going back half days initially is helpful. Listen to your body and your plastic surgeon.  

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

When can I get back to work as a nail technician following a Mommy makeover involving a TT and BA?

+1

Most patients can return to non-strenuous work following a TT and  BA after 1-2 weeks. If you feel pretty well after that period you should be able to resume your nail treatments. But if you have soreness in your abdomen when you bend over doing pedicures then you should hold back another 1-2 weeks, Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Mommy Makeover and Return to Work

+1

Return to nonstrenuous work activities can probably begin at 1 to 2 weeks, depending upon the nature of the surgery and the pain tolerance of the individual.  No strenuous activity should be performed for at least 4 to 6 weeks.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Returning to work after mommy makeover

+1

Recovery after these procedures can vary greatly.  On average most patients can return to work after approximately two weeks, but you will still need to avoid heavy lifting.  You may find that you tire more easily than prior to surgery as your body is concentrating on healing.  The best thing to do is listen to your body and act accordingly.  Good luck!

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

How much time should I take off of work after a Mommy Makeover procedure?

+1

Great question!

The answer to this really depends on how active you are at work and how much potential lifting you may be doing.  If you are working at a desk and not doing much lifting, you're probably fine to return to work in about 1.5-2 weeks but you really need to listen to your body.  

For the most part, my patients are generally back to relatively normal activities within 2 weeks but everyone is a little different.  Going back too quickly will increase your risk for wound healing complications and seromas and so it only makes sense to take an adequate amount of time to allow your body to fully heal. 

Best of luck.  I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Recovery

+1

It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures.  After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours if needed.   All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck).   Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  Most of my mommy makeover patients are comfortable with driving 7-10 days after their surgery.  I generally recommend taking 7-10 days off from a desk job after a mommy makeover procedure.  Doing too much too soon can definitely increase your risk of healing problems or fluid collections (seromas).

Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff.  It is very important you allow enough time for yourself and your recovery.  Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures.  I'm sure you'll love your results.   Please plan and give enough time for your recovery.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu
houston, tx

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Time Off After Tummy Tuck

+1

This is an important part of your overall healing and outcome.  If you try to do too much too soon you may have complications.  In general, at least 2 weeks  minimum should be taken off before returning back to work.  If you are not responsible for lifting anything heavy at work than it should be okay for you being a nail tech.  However, expect to feel tired mid-way through your day.  Starting back 1/2 days sometimes helps ease one back into your regular routine.

Brian Joseph MD FACS

Brian Joseph, MD

Tummy Tuck

+1

Going back to any work after surgery is an important consideration.  Remembe that you have gone through alot to have nice results and your body needs time to heal and you need time to recover.  After a tummy tuck and augmentation combined I think you need 2 weeks of no work and taking it easy.  Let your wounds get on the way to uncomplicated healing.  Week 3 start back to work with a lighter schedule, no lifting and light duty use of your arms, eg. typing or manicures that allow shorter time sitting.  After 4 weeks if you are well healed then progress slowly with more activity.  I do not recommend any real active exercise beyond walking until 6 weeks and no abdominal work until 12 weeks.  I hope this information is helpful.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Return to work after mommy makeover

+1

Hi, 

Great question. Everyone heals at different rates. Assuming you are healthy, non diabetic and a non smoker, i would agree with most of the posts here: 2 weeks is a MINIMUM time to return to nails. A nail tech does some physical work as well as sitting type work. I think you will find that even at two weeks, you are tired and exhausted after a full day of work. If you MUST return to work at two weeks, try to avoid the more strenuous duties and stick with the lighter work. Also, you may want to start with 1/2 day first to see what your recovery is like. You don't want to push yourself too hard at first. 

You can't rush your recovery. 

Hope that is helpful

Bennett Yang, MD 

washington dc

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Back to Work

+1

Every persons job is different and different requirements of lifting, standing, sitting, and bending.  A nail tech usually sits for a prolonged period of time.  I would tell you to give it about 10-14 days depending on the extent of you surgery.  It is very important that you do get up and walk around between cleints to help your circulation.  Doing pedicures requires bending and leaning over and you may not be comfortable doing this for 21 days.  Again, this depends on the extent of your tummy tuck.  Good Luck.

Thomas P. McHugh, MD