Any Way to Avoid Hip to Hip Scar if Combine with Vertical Scar to Bellybutton?

I have a tattoo on the side of my ribs down to my hips. I want to avoid cutting into it since the tattoo hold a special meaning to me. My question is, can i avoid a hip to hip scar or at least not cutting into the tattoo if somehow there's another incision going vertical to pull the skin towards the middle before being stitch down to meet the horizontal cut? I don't mind having a scar up the middle to the belly button.

Vertical Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

The scar you need depends upon where the excess skin is.  You can tighten the muscles through that incision but if you have both horizontal and vertical laxity your result would be suboptimal by only using a vertical incision.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Scar

+1

The addition of a vertical scar actually provides even better contouring and shaping of the torso and abdomen with abdominoplasty

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

A vertical scar can limit the length of the horizontal scar

+1

Thank you for your question. It is possible to reduce the length of the horizontal scar by taking a vertical wedge of skin out from the middle of the abdomen.  The   only way to tell if it would reduce  the scar enough to avoid  your tattoo would be to have a consultation.  Make sure that you see a plastic surgeon that is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Good luck.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and vertical scar

+1

HI,
A vertical scar can make a difference in terms of limiting the horizontal scar size but it would be best if you posted pictures of yourself or came in to see me in consultation (since I practice out of Cleveland).
All my best,
Daniel Medalie, MD

Daniel A. Medalie, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Vertical scar to Avoid Tattoo With Tummy Tuck

+1

Adding a vertical component to the scar of the tummy tuck can certainly help  some people shorten the length of their tummy tuck scar.  Whether or not this will help you really depends upon your exam.

Sacha Obaid, MD

+1

Without a photo it is really not possible to comment on what the standard recommendation would be, let alone any variance to  accommodate the tattoo. Please consider posting such photos. All the best.