Do I Need a Neck Lift or Just Liposuction? (photo)

I'm 33 and recently lost a little weight. I had this issue before when I was thinner. I am currently scheduled for a consultation in April, but I was wondering thoughts on my chin/neck area. It makes me extremely self conscious.

Neck left versus submental liposuction

+2

the pictures demonstrate fat in both of submental and subplatysmal space.  Simple liposuction  will only remove the submental fat.  A   neck lift   will remove submental and subplatysmal fat. In addition there is a platysma plasty that is performed to give further jawline definition after the  subplatysmal fat is removed. No skin work is necessary.

Do I Need a Neck Lift or Just Liposuction?

+1

From the photos provided, there appears to be a weak chin, excess skin and fat under the chin.  Liposuction alone would not address all of these issues.  Chin augmentation with a chin implant, skin removal and liposuction would be required.

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

With your weight loss, you may want to set a goal for your ideal weight. A lower face/neck lift does give excellent results even in a younger patient. In my experience the deeper fat in the neck is better treated with a diet, and the superficial fat is treated with liposuction at the time of surgery. Get a consult and exam from a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to answer your concerns. All the best.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift vs. Liposuction Options

+1

At 33, your skin tone is usually still very good and so liposuction alone should be able to address your concern, possibly with an additional submental incision. However, depending on the degree of skin laxity, there are patients in whom a better result can be achieved with a limited postauricular incision. Only an in-person physical exam can determine which method is appropriate. At 33, unless you have lost a great deal of weight and have very poor skin elasticity, or if you have other unusual factors that may impact your surgery, a limited procedure should be sufficient.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Neck Lift or Liposuction

+1

An exam will be imperative to determine exactly what will be needed.  Supraplatsymal fat can be liposuctioned.  Subplatysmal fat and muscle laxity must be addressed with a neck lift.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Neck lift or just liposuction

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. That is a great accomplishment. Your pictures definitely show the accumulation of fat underneath the chin. It is harder to assess whether or not there is actual laxity of the platysma muscle as well. Patients who have lost weight frequently do have muscle laxity that needs to be addressed as well as excess fat. I agree with the other surgeons that the most effective treatment would entail a midline platysmaplasty to tighten the muscle combined with lipocontouring of the neck. Make sure to consult with an experienced facial plastic surgeon.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Anatomy determines which neck lift to do.

+1

Hi.

1)  Liposuction alone will not help you.

2)  So you need a neck lift with a short scar under your chin.  Exactly how to do neck lift (treatment of deep fat. treatment of muscles, etc.) depends on your exact anatomy.  So physical exam is necessary for plan.  But a neck lift should really help you.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Neck lift or liposuction

+1

Dear galaxsi,

• Given your age and what it looks like, neck liposuction would be a good place to start
  • The skin is still very elastic and will re-shape to the contours of your new neck after the fat is removed
  • For a more definitive answer, please see a surgeon for an exam, then all of your concerns can be addressed

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Level 2 Neck lift procedure is a great procedure

+1

Thank you for your question.  From the pictures you showed us, I would recommend an anterior approach only for your neck lift (a small scar under the chin only) with:

1. a conservative liposuction of the neck,
  2. direct excision of subplastysmal fat and
  3. repair of the plastysma muscles (plication).  

This is a 60-75 min procedure that can be done either under full general anaesthesia or under deep sedation with anesthesiologist.  This is a very common neck approach today as less and less ladies opt for a full facelift after all the great results we can get with Botox and fillers (restylane and juvederm).  Make sure you see a qualified plastic surgeon.  See my video, attached.  Hope this helps!  Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto plastic surgeon, board-certified.

Marc DuPéré, MD

Neck lift or submental fat removal

+1

It is hard to say from just photos.  It does look like in the one view that you also have loose skin.   Best to be seen in person. Good luck.