Cleft Lip Rhinoplasty - Is my Case Fixable?

Hi. I have a cleft lip and palate. I'm 15 years old and scheduled to have rhinoplasty in the summer. I'm wondering if my nose is fixable, as far as symmetry goes. Should I not get my hopes up? My nose is my worst feature and I hate it. My doctor is Dr. Craig Hobar in Dallas, Tx.

Rhinoplasty and clet lip and palate

+2

A rhinoplasty for someone that had a cleft lip and palate is a bit more involved. You are in excellent hands with Dr. Hobar.  Good luck!

You seem to be a good candidate for well-performed rhinoplasty surgery.

+2

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos. The most striking asymmetry is involving your nostrils: the height of your left nostril is significantly higher than your right. You also have a wide, under-projected tip and a hanging columella.

You're a good candidate for surgery provided you have realistic expectations, and provided your surgeon is a reputable, rhinoplasty specialist. I cannot over-emphasize the importance of the skills of your surgeon.

Your surgeon may be fabulous, and competent. I think you may get a feel for his confidence when you chat. In my view, your rhinoplasty surgery will be one of the most important decisions you will make. You should ask your parents to research several rhinoplasty specialists, and go for several consultations before the summer to see what's feasible. Always check credentials and many photos. You could get a list of local specialists at abfprs.org. Consider consulting Dr. Jack Gunter who is in Dallas, and is an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon that is well-respected in my specialty.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ:

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cleft Lip Rhinoplasty

+1

Yiur nose and lip can definitely be improved. Cleft lip surgery  is a very specialized area of rhinoplasty - consult with surgeons that have significant experience with this procedure.