Inner Cleavage Rippling with Full Silicone Unders Normal?

8 weeks ago I had a breast augmentation with 500cc silicone implants placed entirely under the muscle. I am thin, but was full B cup before the surgery. Now I can really feel (but not yet see) the edge of my left implant in the bottom half of my cleavage. I do sleep on my side with a thong bra because of having implants on my small frame and I don't know if that is what caused the problem. Is it normal to easily feel the implant with muscle unders and is the thong bra making it worse? Thank you!

Rippling with implants

+2

Usually, when the implants are subpectoral or under the muscle, it is the upper, inner portion that is tucked under the muscle.  From your description, it sounds as though this was the technique that was used during your surgery.
If a thin woman chooses a large implant, it may be possible to feel the edge of the implant as you describe.  Let your plastic surgeon know about your concerns. 

Cleavage rippling?

+2

Even though you describe your implants as having been placed 'entirely under' the muscle, it's more likely that your implants are place under your pect muscle only.  The pectoralis muscle centrally doesn't extend as low as your 500cc implant extends so there is a region where your implant is not covered by muscle.  Your natural breast tissue also doesn't really extend toward the center as far as your cleavage so it's likely that, in the spot that concerns you, there's nothing covering your implant other than skin and fat.  And, if your thin, there may not be much fat either!  The end result is that, in this region, all that covers the implant is skin.  Some of this is positional and you may feel what your describing worst if you're lying on your left side feeling this area on your left breast.  I hope this helps.  Scott Newman, MD FACS-

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Breast implant rippling

+2

What you are experiencing sounds very much within the range of normal for a “thin” young lady with 500 mL implants. The implants are not completely covered  by muscle- some palpability  of the implant is normal in the area that you described. I do not think that the use of a  “thong bra”  is making it worse; as always, make sure you follow up closely with your surgeon raising any concerns you may have.

Under the muscle implants, only part way

+2

Anatomy is such that the chest muscle will cover only the upper two thirds to one half of your breast implant. It is not at all unusual to feel your implant in the lower part of the breast, or out to side where the muscle does not extend. The thong bra is not giving you much support or coverage, though by eight weeks there is no harm to be done wearing one.

peterejohnsonmd

Cleavage?

+1
If you are thin than 500 is likely on the high side for your frame and unfortunately you would be more likely than someone with smaller implants to see and feel the implants

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Palpable Edge of Submuscular Silicone Implant

+1

A submuscular implant does not have total muscle coverage. The pectoralis muscle covers in the upper chest and the breast gland covers below.  Often the breast fold is lowered as much as a rib space with an augmentation leaving the lowest part of the implant with little tissue cover.  If you have no visible changes then nothing more needs to be done.  There are alternatives for improving implant coverage in the lower pole if that is important to you but would require additional surgery. Discuss your question with your surgeon.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Rippling can happen even with silicone

+1

gel implants under the muscle. Basically I warn patients that very large implants on very small people, or people who are very thin, may well lead to visible rippling, and that it is not always possible to predict who will show rippling.    There are some maneuvers to help with this, and talking to your surgeon is the best way to find out all of  your options and decide together what will work best for you.  Good luck to you.

Eleanor J. Barone, MD

Follow-up with your plastic surgeon

+1

When in doubt, you should contact your reputable board certified plastic surgeon for a follow-up. Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon