I just quit smoking but want to have a tummy tuck and lipo?

I wanted to quit smoking and felt this would be an excellent motivator for getting a tummy tuck and lipo. I wanted to get this done while I am in between jobs, by early January, is this possible ?

Smoking before

+2

A patient has definitely has to stop smoking 4 weeks prior and 4 weeks after, this will help the oxigen levels be at the right stage during surgery and help you after surgery with the travel of oxigen and help you heal and to prevent any necrosis that might take place in any part of the body if no oxigen is present.

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

+2

If you stopped tobacco for 1 month, those procedures can be safely performed assuming an otherwise healthy patient.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Congrats!!

+2

Congratulations for making the decision of quitting smoking. That will improve your entire life and definitely your surgery outcome.

I will encourage you to set the date of your surgery about 3-4 weeks after you quit.

You have to acknowledge that your surgeon can not be as aggressive on a previous smoker patient as we can be on other kind of patient.

Have a great journey

Dr. Cardenas

Laura Carmina Cardenas, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Smoking cessation and tummy tuck timing.

+2

Greetings,

Call a number of reputable and experienced plastic surgeons in your area and determine their guidelines for smoking cessation prior to surgery. A month before surgery is a good guideline for a smoking free time period prior to your operation.

Remember, nicotine patches are also bad for your wound healing.

Smokers have a higher risk for wound healing than non-smokers, even if they have quite smoking.........

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and tummy tuck

+2

6 weeks after quitting 100% is the maximum I'd require a patient wait before surgery and in many cases I require only 3 weeks. The more you smoke and the longer you've been smoking, the more sense it makes to wait the maximum. Those who just smoke "occasionally" or "socially on weekends" usually are allowed to schedule with only 3 weeks of 100% abstinence from smoking, especially if young and otherwise healthy. Remember too, it's the nicotine, not the smoke that's harmful. It is not ok to use nicotine gum or other nicotine products to help you quit smoking during the waiting period for surgery.

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

+2
Congratulations on quitting smoking. I prefer that my patients do not smoke for 6 weeks before surgery, but many surgeons vary on the timing. I think you will find that there are many surgeons who will work with you to achieve you goal of surgery in January.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Smoking and surgery

+1
Here are the major points of smoking Tobacco or Marijuana before or after surgery:
1. There is nicotine in tobacco, but not in marijuana. However, most joints are rolled with marijuana and tobacco combination. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor that decreases blood flow to the tissues. This is the major problems that can cause a very bad outcome in some surgeries. In a breast augmentation, there is not a lot of risk as there are not a lot of incisions which decrease blood flow to the tissues. In a breast lift or tummy tuck, on the other hand, there is much longer and more involved incisions. The decrease in blood flow to the tissues in combination with the decrease in blood flow from the nicotine can cause tissue to die. This can cause part of the breast or nipple, or in the case of a tummy tuck, part of the belly tissue to die, resulting in a very bad outcome. This is especially bad in breast reductions or face lifts. In a rhinoplasty the tip of the nose and the columella, the area between the tip and the lip, is at risk. Your skin and tissue can turn black and fall off if this happens. Marijuana without tobacco does not cause this problem, or marijuana in an edible fashion. Vaporizers do not decrease the amount of nicotine in tobacco, only decrease the smoke. Hookah also does not decrease nicotine.
2. There is carbon monoxide in both tobacco smoke and marijuana smoke. Carbon monoxide decreases the oxygen carrying capacity of hemoglobin in the blood. This is different from the vasoconstrictor effect, but has the same result of having the risk of tissue death in conjunction with surgeries that decrease the blood flow to tissues such as breast lifts and tummy tucks, as opposed to an augmentation alone that does not decrease blood flow to as great of an extent. Again, edible forms of marijuana do not have smoke, and thus carbon monoxide poisoning.
3. Coughing. Both tobacco and marijuana smoke disrupt the lining of the lungs and bronchi and can lead to coughing episodes. Coughing episodes can lead to internal bleeding after surgery that can lead to hematomas and complications, and again a bad outcome. Again, edible forms of marijuana does not have this effect.
4. Anesthesia effects. Marijuana can have drug interactions with certain anesthetic drugs. Thus it is important to tell your anesthesiologist about your marijuana use.
In conclusion, Smoking, whether it be tobacco or marijuana, is detrimental to your surgery outcome. Edible marijuana is much less so, but be honest about your use with your surgeon and anesthesiologist so that you can have the best outcome. In general, you should quite smoking many weeks, ideally 6 weeks before surgery, and not smoke for at least 2 weeks after surgery.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! The issue with nicotine is that it also acts as a vasoconstrictor, clamping down of blood vessels. Blood supply is always of great concern during any surgical procedure, but especially in such a procedure as a breast augmentation where the viability of the skin/tissue, and nipple-areolar complex is obviously important. Since the vascularity to the area is already tenuous since it will be raised by cutting around the area, maximizing blood flow to the tissue is critical.

Typically, we recommend at least 6 weeks of smoking cessation prior to and at least 6 weeks after any surgical procedure. The longer, the better. Nicotine always increases the risk for infection, nipple necrosis, poor scarring, and wound complications, as well as other health consequences including blood clots. The anesthesia risk is greater with general anesthesia as well as pulmonary issues/lung infections postoperatively. I would discuss this with your surgeon prior to your procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Stop Smoking for Three weeks before Surgery

+1

Studies show remarkable physiologic benefits to having stopped smoking for at least three weeks before surgery... and Forever afterwards if you want maximum effect/ improvement.

Manuel M. Pena, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

+1

You should be able to safely have surgery done in the beginning of January.  It is advisable to wait about 4 weeks after you have stopped smoking.

I do recommend you get in for a couple of consultations as soon as possible if you want to get surgery done in that time frame.

Rigo Mendoza, MD