I just quit smoking but want to have a tummy tuck and lipo?

I wanted to quit smoking and felt this would be an excellent motivator for getting a tummy tuck and lipo. I wanted to get this done while I am in between jobs, by early January, is this possible ?

Smoking before

+2

A patient has definitely has to stop smoking 4 weeks prior and 4 weeks after, this will help the oxigen levels be at the right stage during surgery and help you after surgery with the travel of oxigen and help you heal and to prevent any necrosis that might take place in any part of the body if no oxigen is present.

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

+2

If you stopped tobacco for 1 month, those procedures can be safely performed assuming an otherwise healthy patient.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Congrats!!

+2

Congratulations for making the decision of quitting smoking. That will improve your entire life and definitely your surgery outcome.

I will encourage you to set the date of your surgery about 3-4 weeks after you quit.

You have to acknowledge that your surgeon can not be as aggressive on a previous smoker patient as we can be on other kind of patient.

Have a great journey

Dr. Cardenas

Laura Carmina Cardenas, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Smoking cessation and tummy tuck timing.

+2

Greetings,

Call a number of reputable and experienced plastic surgeons in your area and determine their guidelines for smoking cessation prior to surgery. A month before surgery is a good guideline for a smoking free time period prior to your operation.

Remember, nicotine patches are also bad for your wound healing.

Smokers have a higher risk for wound healing than non-smokers, even if they have quite smoking.........

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and tummy tuck

+2

6 weeks after quitting 100% is the maximum I'd require a patient wait before surgery and in many cases I require only 3 weeks. The more you smoke and the longer you've been smoking, the more sense it makes to wait the maximum. Those who just smoke "occasionally" or "socially on weekends" usually are allowed to schedule with only 3 weeks of 100% abstinence from smoking, especially if young and otherwise healthy. Remember too, it's the nicotine, not the smoke that's harmful. It is not ok to use nicotine gum or other nicotine products to help you quit smoking during the waiting period for surgery.

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

+2
Congratulations on quitting smoking. I prefer that my patients do not smoke for 6 weeks before surgery, but many surgeons vary on the timing. I think you will find that there are many surgeons who will work with you to achieve you goal of surgery in January.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Stop Smoking for Three weeks before Surgery

+1

Studies show remarkable physiologic benefits to having stopped smoking for at least three weeks before surgery... and Forever afterwards if you want maximum effect/ improvement.

Manuel M. Pena, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

+1

You should be able to safely have surgery done in the beginning of January.  It is advisable to wait about 4 weeks after you have stopped smoking.

I do recommend you get in for a couple of consultations as soon as possible if you want to get surgery done in that time frame.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

As long as you remain nicotine free, Tummy Tuck and Lipo are possible

+1

Hi there-

Staying away from ALL nicotine for at least 4 weeks before surgery and the same time period afterwords is critical to your safety and happiness- so avoid electronic cigarettes, gums, and patches as well as cigarettes themselves.

Equally important (if not more important) is that you choose your surgeon very carefully and for the appropriate reasons- you will have once chance to get the very best outcome you can- plastic surgery is not an area of your life where shopping for the lowest price usually pays off.

Good luck!

Armando Soto, MD