Ask a doctor

What's the most effective way to remove depressed scar without surgery? (Photo)

Hello, a little more than a year ago I had a mole removed from my forehead. As it healed the skin depressed and is now a crater like scar. It is very visible even from a distance. Is there any way I can reduce the scars visibility without some kind of surgery?

Doctor Answers (4)

Scar Removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
When there is a depressed scar on the face, the best way to remove it would be to inject filler in that area. For the forehead, Restylane is the best filler option. However, having a consultation with a provider to discuss the different options is recommended.  

Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

Improving depressed scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have a few non-surgical options for depressed scars, although anti-depressants are not one of them ;)  Subcision can be used, as can micro needling with a dermaroller or ablative laser resurfacing such as Profractional laser. Fillers can also be helpful. In many cases, combination therapy is your best option, so best to chat with a dermatologist that you have a great relationship with.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

What's the most effective way to remove depressed scar without surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Try fillers with PRP infusion therapy.. Otherwise only some minor skin surgery is effective also.....

What's the most effective way to remove depressed scar without surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are a few non-surgical options to improve the depressed appearance of the scar.  These include a series of laser treatments, subcision, and/or injection of filler agents.  The nonsurgical options may be temporary, especially the filler, which may need to be performed a few times per year.  A permanent solution would be to remove the circular, depressed scar and make a new thin, linear scar that will likely be less perceptible.  That small procedure could be performed under local anesthesia with numbing only.  I like to offer my patients complimentary scar care after surgery that once healing is complete and the scar matures, helps to make them fairly imperceptible in many cases. I would suggest scheduling a consultation with a board certified/eligible plastic surgeon with experience treating scars. Good luck!

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.