Are Clear, Plastic, or Porcelain Braces Used on the Upper and Lower Teeth?

I recently went to a dentist to discuss having traditional braces or invisalign. He is recommending traditional braces for my case. I suggested I could only have porcelain on my upper teeth, not lower, as they could break on the lower.

Can I have clear or plastic on the lower teeth? Does that depend on the dentist?

Ceramic braces may abrade teeth

+1

It is certainly possible to have a ceramic (clear) brace placed on the teeth instead of traditional metal brackets.  In some situations, however, it is better not to use them on the lower teeth if you have a deep bite.  This is to ensure that your top teeth do not chip or abrade from the ceramic brackets that are on the lower teeth.

Toronto Orthodontist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.