Clear Fluid Leaking out 5 Days Post-op?

I am 8 days post-op, crease incision, subglandular. Drain was removed 4th day post-op and on the 5th day, fluid started leaking out on my right incision. Left was completely closed. Fluid was clear, a bit pinkish in order amounting to about half a tablespoon a day. My PS removed the suture on the 7th day on both sides but put a rubber drain on the side that's leaking. I have no fever and pain is minimal to none unless I press it. I am still on antibiotic. Should I be worried?

Drainage from Breast Augmentation Incision

+1

Any drainage from the breast augmentation in the setting you described merits fairly regular exams to monitor progress while on antibiotics.

Concerns after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Always  best to check with your own plastic surgeon about these types of concerns after surgery. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with meaningful diagnosis, treatment recommendations, or reassurance.

Fluid Leaking After Breast

+1

It should be of concern to you but this may represent a residual seroma or normal serosanguis discharge.  Continue with your antibiotics and follow up with your PS.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Drainage 1 week postop?

+1

Hello and thank you for your question.

Drainage from an augmentation wound is concerning as the implant may get contaminated.  I would call and notify your plastic surgeon of this and be seen soon.  In the mean time, your surgeon may elect to keep you on antibiotics until they are able to inspect the wound.

Best Wishes!

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

There is concern of infection

+1

Thank you for the question.  Drainage from a breast augmentation is concerning.  It may be that you have developed a seroma for some reason and this is resulting in the drainage and delayed healing.  It will be very important to make sure that you do not develop an infection.  Being on antibiotics is good.  Your plastic surgeon may want to culture the fluid and check to see if a different antibiotic would be better.  Good luck and stay in touch with your plastic surgeon frequently.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Leakage after augmentation.

+1

Be sure you see your plastic surgeon often. Leakage of fluid in the setting of breast implants is a concern that needs close management. Best wishes - Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Fluid Leaking out 5 Days Post-op

+1

While I do a considerable volume of breast implant surgery, I do not use drains, so my experience is limited. It is not normal to still have drainage, nor to need a replacement drain. Continue to follow with your surgeon closely. It is hard to give any reassurance without the benefit of an exam.

Incisional drainage 5 days after a breast augmentation is something to worry about.

+1

Breast augmentations incisions are usually dry by the next day.  If you are having drainage at 5 days, you need to see your surgeon.

Fluid leak after breast augmentation

+1

Sometimes fluid collection can develop during a breast augmentation.  I would follow closely with your surgeon during this critical time.