Clear Discharge from Breast with Capsular Contracture?

Hello, I have already posted a question about my Capsular Contracture and I know it needs to be removed, which I plan to do shortly. However, while I was massaging the breast it started leaking clear odorless fluid from the nipple. I am getting really worried about it and not sure if it is due to the massage, the capsular contracture, both, or something more? Also, I am wondering if surgery to remove the capsule and implant will be contraindicated while there is discharge?Please help.Thank you

Most likely not anything bad

+2

But you should get it checked out nevertheless.  Alert your plastic surgeon about this development and together you can get the appropriate exams.

Fluid from nipple

+2

Without an exam ,it is difficult to assess what is going on.  Fluid from the nipple can mean a lot of different things.

Really hard to know if this is significant without an exam

+2

Capsular contracture is unfortunately relatively common after breast augmentation.  It some studies it is actually the most common reason why patients need further surgery.  In the absence of other signs of infection (pain, redness, warmth, swelling, fever) the clear discharge doesn't sound overly concerning.  It is most likely related to the implant displacement exercises you have been performing.  You may want to lay of the massaging for a few days to see if it subsides.  You should certainly discuss this with your plastic surgeon prior to any further procedures.  

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Exam recommended

+1

While it is probably nothing to worry about, any time you are experiencing discharge from your nipple you should have it looked into.  Make sure you inform your plastic surgeon about the situation.  He/she may recommend that you visit an OB/Gynecologist.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Clear nipple discharge is not really uncommon

+1

Clear nipple discharge from both breasts can occur with massage or stimulation and can fluctuate with your menstral cycle. As the breast gets older and the ducts dialate discharge can also be seen and again is not all that uncommon. Special attention is needed if the discharge is at all bloody as this can be related to a breast cancer. We would like to isolate an implant from contact with the nipple if there is a discharge at the time to prevent contamination and capsule contracture.