Cleaning Outside of Nose After Rhinoplasty. What Can I Use?

I had rhinoplasty 8 days ago and today my doctor removed the dressing and tape. However there is a bit of glue residue left over on the skin of the nose and I have quite a bit of blackheads. What can I use to clean the nose of the glue and is it okay to use a nose strip for the blackheads at this time?

External Nose Cleaning After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Anaeli,

At this time, your nose is still delicate and should be cared for GENTLY.

A sterile solution like alcohol on a gauze or cotton could be your best bet to clean the outer skin of your nose GENTLY.

As for the nose strip, IT IS A NO GO.

For further information, I advise you to consult with your surgeon as he/she knows best what was done during your surgery.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

A Clean Nose

+1

These are all great comments by caring physicians right here on RealSelf.  Consider having your surgeon's office help you with cleaning your nose.  Best to You.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cleaning Your Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear anaeli,

Be gentle with your nose as it is still healing. You may use mild soap, a Q-tip, and tap water or rubbing alcohol to gently cleanse your skin and remove the leftover adhesive. I would suggest that you contact your surgeon regarding any other concerns.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Cleaning nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

I would not recommend any nose strips at this time as it may effect the results of the Rhinoplasty in a negative way. You may use rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball and gently clean the nose from bridge to tip. The blackheads will disappear eventually.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Cleaning the outside of the nose after a rhinoplasty

+1

Cleaning the outside of the nose is easy.  Use a Qtip and some tap water..Just rub gently  I 

If the glue doesn't come off try some alcohol on the Qtip.  The blackheads can be extracted gently.  Do not use professional products yet.  Confer with your surgeon about that aspect.

Talmage Raine MD FACS   drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Rhinoplasty and cleaning of the nose

+1

The adhesive from the nasal tape should come of with gentle use of mild soap and water. I would be careful not to push on nose. As for dried blood, usually a combination of water and peroxide helps.

Cleaning the nose after rhinoplasty

+1

Dear anaeli

The left over adhesive from the cast will come off with mild soap and water.

Please call your surgeon before treating the blackheads or using other methods.

The adhesive cast always creates obstruction of the pores and temporarily leave some irritated pores and blackheads. 

Best wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cleaning your skin

+1

Please consult your physician.  It is generally not a great idea to rub the skin of he nose so soon after surgery.  He/she will have his/her own approach for the black heads.  I let my patients carefully use a gentle granular cleanser like St Ives, but without seeing the skin, I cannot say for sure that this is a good idea.  Please call your doctor. 

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon