I Cleaned my Nose Using Q-tip. How will I know if I damaged my nose?

3 weeks ago, I had open rhinoplasty. I had the bump removed, nose straightened (my nose diverted to the right from front view) and had my tip pulled up because it was droopy. 3 weeks after my surgery, I used Q-tip to clean my nose since it was blocked by crusts and dried blood and I couldn't breath. I did insert the Q-tip a bit deep. I did not feel any pain or get any nose bleed. How would I know if I damaged my nose?

Q-tip in nose

+1

I often will let patients gently use a q-tip about a week or two after surgery to gently clean the nose. If you are concerned because you think you damaged something in your nose, then I suggest you see your surgeon.

Q-tip in Nose

+1

by 3 weeks all the congealed blood should be out of your nose. Add polysporin ointment to you nostrils to help in the healing process and makes the internal incisions softer. Pain + Bleeding are the 2 elements that indicate that you are too aggressive.

David Ellis, Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon at Art of Facial Surgery

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 Weeks after Rhinoplasty and Q tip

+1

If your nose looks the same, your breathing is the same, and you have no pain, then you likely did no damage.  However, see your plastic surgeon for an exam to address your concerns. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php