What Kind of Suppliments Should I Be Taking Before and After the Mommy Makeover? (photo)

I am having surgery October 16th and would like to start taking the right suppliments and can anyone recommend a good scar healing cream too thanks

Mommy makeover - supplements

+2

Preoperatively I only allow my patients to take Arnica Montana supplements.  All other elective supplements I ask my patients to stop for a week before surgery.  A good scar cream that I recommend is either Mederma with sunblock or Biocorneum.  Both seem to be effective.  Best wishes!!

Preop preparation

+2

There is some variance in what plastic surgeon's recommend before surgery.  This question is best posed to your plastic surgeon.  In generally, I recommend good nutrition with protein supplementation (to optimize healing potential).  Over the counter multi-vitamins can be helpful.  I would stay away from herbal supplements.   And of course, no smoking and stay away from second hand smoke before and after surgery.   Please talk to your PS to get his/her recommendations.  Best of luck!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Supplements for surgery

+2

Two supplements that you may find helpful are Arnica, which can help with bruising, and Bromelain which can help with swelling.  You want to discuss all medications, including over the counter medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements with your doctor prior to surgery.  Good luck!

Katy Plastic Surgeon

Supplements and scar care

+2

With almost all our surgical procedures we place patients on Arnica and Bromelaine. We also alway recommend a healthy diet, refraining from smoking and taking multivitamins prior to the operation. Patients who are thinner are recommended to also take protein supplements. All of this will complement a safe surgical plan. 

Almost all our patients are also recommended to have silicone strip coverage of their scars with compression. Lot of the studies have shown that coverage of scars with silicone sheeting is perhaps the most effective mode of care, post operatively. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.egrari.com

Sinnech Very Helpful Prior to Surgery

+2

I recommend patients to discontinue herbals as well.  I do, however, recommend Sinnech, which is Arnica Montana, prior to and immediately after surgery.  This reduces bruising, swelling, and helps patients to bounce back more quickly after surgery.  I include this with my surgical package and find it helpful.  It has no known side effects.  Just my little tip.  Good Luck! Tripti Burt, MD

What Kind of Supplements Should I Be Taking Before and After the Mommy Makeover?

+2

Thanks for your question. I think the answer will vary greatly from doctor to doctor. There is so liitle good scientific information on whether supplements have any value that I personally do not recommend any to my patients. Manufacture of supplements has little or no oversight so you are never really sure what might be in them. For that reason we request patients to discontinue any supplements they may be taking 2 weeks prior to their surgery and for another week after.

Suppliment Use

+2

What an exciting time for you.  Congratulations on your up coming procedure.  I personally have patients stop all herbal suppliments 2 weeks before surgery and may resume them 2 weeks after surgery.  It is well documented that many suppliments have undesirable consequences.  The best course of action is to discuss this with your plastic surgeon.  Concerning the scar healing cream I reccommend IS Clinical Pro-Heal Serum.  Advice on scar cream will vary with the plastic surgeon as there is no right answer. 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

What Kind of Suppliments Should I Be Taking Before and After the Mommy Makeover?

+1

You will find that your plastic surgeon will have specific instructions for you in regards to the use of current medications and supplements. Generally speaking, these types of medications are continued  until the time of surgery and afterwards ( unless there is a specific contraindication such as a medication increasing the likelihood of bleeding);  it  will be important that all medical concerns  be optimally controlled prior to proceeding.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm