Clarity on Which Breast Implants for My Body and Age?

I am in my late 50's, 5'7", 118 lbs. I am quite thin above the waist, w/no fat on my chest & my bones can be seen. I am looking for a natural look, not too big, nor small. An active lifestyle w/running is important to me. My Doctor prefers some type of Gummy Bear implant. I am concerned about cohesive implants being uncomfortable for my frame. I would appreciate your opinions about size, shape and manufacturer. Thank you for your comments, time & this website.

Sizing

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu

Gummy Bear or Silicone for Breast Augmentation

+1

Make sure you feel both of them prior to selecting one for your surgery.   They definitely have different consistencies.  Saline may not be the best option due to your thin physique.

Implant choices

+1

See if you can find a surgeon who uses Vectra 3D imaging during consultation. You can literally "try on" different implants and see your "after" results before you ever have surgery.

I prefer smooth round gel implants, particularly in very thin women, as they are softer than shaped implants.  On the other hand, though, a firmer shaped implant may have less wrinkling and rippling than a smooth round softer implant.

There is no perfect implant, but with proper guidance, you should be able to choose one that's right for you.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Which breast implants

+1

I don't feel cohesive gel implants offer any advantage over standard smooth surface, round, gel-filled implants for cosmetic breast augmentation. 

It sounds as if your tissue coverage is such that saline filled implants would be easily felt in the lower and lateral part of your breasts where the muscle doesn't cover and this would be a potential issue for you but cohesive gel implants aren't necessary to address it. 

Regarding sizing. A properly fitted round implant (that matches the width of your breast upright with arms down) and properly positioned and healed in the partial sub-pectoral position should give you a "natural" look. Unless your breast width is unusually wide or narrow for your chest, the lowest profile gel implant should make you look about a cup size larger, the middle profile gel implant would look about a cup and a half larger, and the high profile gel implant should make you look about two cup sizes larger than you started from. Your preference in size is more important than someone else's opinion of what looks natural. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants for me?

+1

The most important thing that you can do is discuss your concerns and desires during consultation. I personally don ot use cohesive gel implants because I am not a fan of shaped implants or textured.

Best Breast Implants for Me?

+1

As you can imagine, despite your good description of body type and goals, it is not possible to give you precise  advice online.
The best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.  Make sure you discuss your active lifestyle with your plastic surgeon as well.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “gentle, feminine appeal”  or “lean,sophisticated” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.

+1

Without photos and more info (bra size, goal, breast width) this is not possible for me to answer. By in large, I have been very satisfied with standard silicone gel implants, particularly in a slender patient in whom the slightest tilt in the gummy bears will be noticeable. 

You would be well served by additional opinions from other surgeons.Thanks for your question, best wishes.