Is It Ok to Use a Clarisonic While on Retin-A?

I'm using Retin-A, and I know I'm not suppose to scrub my face. I was wondering if it is still ok to use my Clarisonic brush or if that is too much exfoliation?

Using the Clarisonic brush and Retin-A

+5

If you are using Retin-A (tretinoin), I recommend using the Delicate brush by Clarisonic.  It has softer bristles for sensitive skin.  If it makes your skin red or tender, use it less frequently or use a lower strength Retin-A.  Retin-A can make your skin more fragile, so you have to be careful with any kind of exfoliating procedure.  Always stop your Retin-A at least one week prior to waxing or if you desire a chemical peel or laser procedure. 

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Clarisonic with Retin-A exfoliation

+4

Be careful that your exfoliation program is not too aggressive.  I have seen patients who experience extreme post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, or unwanted spots after excessive exfoliation.  The cosmetic industry has given the public the idea that it is important to strip the outer layers of skin away, but this doesn't mean "more" is better.  Not everybody benefits from exfoliation, in fact, too much exfoliation may leave your deeper layers of skin exposed, irritated, and angry.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon