Parotid Fistula Right After Facelift; Applying Pressure on this Ridge, Eating a Bland Diet, Scopolamine Patch the Solution?

My Parotid fistula occurred immediately after facelift--the second day it was very evident. I am currently using pressure on this ridge and back to eating very bland diet and a scopolamine patch. Seems to help. I have been assured this will resolve but I am still concerned. thank you

You are getting the proper treatment

+2

The treatment for the parotid fistula is to do conservative treatment and if not resolved in 3 months to do exploration and repair the leake with a patch. 

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Parotid Fistula after Facelift

+2

A parotid fistula is a very rare complication following a facelift. Thank you for clarifying the timing of the fistula. When I answered your question yesterday I did not know that the fistula was associated with the facelift. Your present treatment is appropriate; this should resolve. I hope this reassures you, but if you still have doubts consult with an ENT surgeon.

Parotid Leak after Facelift

+1

I would recommend antisialagogues and Botox to allow the tissue to heal.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Face-and-Neck-Lift.php

Botox Also Useful for Parotid Fistula

+1

Parotid Fistulas are very uncommon after facelifts but can occur. All of the treatment modalities you mentioned are correct and proper for the treatment of a Parotid fistula following a facelift. The only other treatment choice you could consider and should discuss with your plastic surgeon is  the off FDA label use of a Botox injection. A Botox injection ( of botulinum toxin type A) is a highly effective and relatively safe  primary method of treatment for an acute postparotidectomy salivary fistula.

Parotid fistula

+1

You are doing the right thing. If it doesn't stop in 3 months you need to have it explored and closed. It should close by itself before that tho.

+1

I agree this is a very rare issue with face Lifts and you must follow the exact instructions of your Face Lift Surgeon treating you.  You could ask him/her about serial aspirations of any saliva that's accumulating from the parotid gland or duct.  

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Parotid fistula after facelift

+1

Parotid fistula after facelift is an uncommon but recognized occurrence.  Conservative treatment with pressure and a small drain is appropriate.  It is best to stay away from spicy food and tart juices.  It will resolve in 2-4 weeks.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.