Parotid Fistula Right After Facelift; Applying Pressure on this Ridge, Eating a Bland Diet, Scopolamine Patch the Solution?

My Parotid fistula occurred immediately after facelift--the second day it was very evident. I am currently using pressure on this ridge and back to eating very bland diet and a scopolamine patch. Seems to help. I have been assured this will resolve but I am still concerned. thank you

You are getting the proper treatment

The treatment for the parotid fistula is to do conservative treatment and if not resolved in 3 months to do exploration and repair the leake with a patch. 

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Parotid Fistula after Facelift

A parotid fistula is a very rare complication following a facelift. Thank you for clarifying the timing of the fistula. When I answered your question yesterday I did not know that the fistula was associated with the facelift. Your present treatment is appropriate; this should resolve. I hope this reassures you, but if you still have doubts consult with an ENT surgeon.

Parotid Leak after Facelift

I would recommend antisialagogues and Botox to allow the tissue to heal.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Botox Also Useful for Parotid Fistula

Parotid Fistulas are very uncommon after facelifts but can occur. All of the treatment modalities you mentioned are correct and proper for the treatment of a Parotid fistula following a facelift. The only other treatment choice you could consider and should discuss with your plastic surgeon is  the off FDA label use of a Botox injection. A Botox injection ( of botulinum toxin type A) is a highly effective and relatively safe  primary method of treatment for an acute postparotidectomy salivary fistula.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Parotid fistula

You are doing the right thing. If it doesn't stop in 3 months you need to have it explored and closed. It should close by itself before that tho.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

I agree this is a very rare issue with face Lifts and you must follow the exact instructions of your Face Lift Surgeon treating you.  You could ask him/her about serial aspirations of any saliva that's accumulating from the parotid gland or duct.  

Parotid fistula after facelift

Parotid fistula after facelift is an uncommon but recognized occurrence.  Conservative treatment with pressure and a small drain is appropriate.  It is best to stay away from spicy food and tart juices.  It will resolve in 2-4 weeks.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD