Does Circumcised Clitoral Hood Reduce Risk of Cervical Cancer?

Do you think there is a decrease in risk of cervical cancer in a woman who had circumcised clitoral hood from birth? Why?

Clitoral Hood reduction and Cervical Cancer

+1

There is no decrease in the risk of cervical cancer in a woman with a circumcised clitoral hood.

Cervical cancer risk is increased by early exposure to the human papilloma virus (HPV), smoking, immune suppression and by avoiding Pap smears (which can detect early changes in the cervix, which can then be treated before they progress to cervical cancer).

Cervical cancer risk is decreased by vaccination against HPV, regular Pap smears and by lifelong abstinence from sexual activity.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

No medical indications for clitoral hood reduction

+1

Clitoral hood reduction has no medical or cancer related benefits.  It should be viewed as a cosmetic operation for those who seek to change the shape of the clitoral/labial region.

Navin K. Singh, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Circumcised clitoral hood will not reduce cervical cancer risk.

+1

Circumcision of clitoral hood will not reduce the risk of cervical cancer. Cervical cancer can be prevented with the use of an HPV vaccine. This is recommended in adolescent females and young women who have no history of the human papilloma virus.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Clitoral Hood

+1

There is no relationship between clitoral hood and cervical cancer.

There is a relationship between HPV and cervical cancer. But this has nothing to do with clitoral hood.

Clitoral Hood reduction or circumcision

+1

I have never heard of any relation of clitoral hood reduction/circumcision and its relation to cervical cancer. This is more commonly related to multiple sexual partners and/or HPV. Certain vaccines now claim to reduce this ris.

I have seen no studies proving this relation

+1

The Clitoris and its hood are relatively distant from the Cervix. I have not seen any studies that relate cancers of the Cervix to clitorial hood reduction, so in the absence of information I would say "No" to your question.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

The opposite could be true

+1

I'm not aware of any study that would show a decreased incidence of cervical cancer following female circumcision. The opposite is actually true(see below).There are studies showing difficulty in treating cervical cancer in females who had complete circumcision. The relationship was established with male circumcision and is related to the human papilloma virus.Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS