Circumareolar Mastopexy WITHOUT Implants- Worth It?

My D's deflated to saggy C's after a 50 lb weight loss, implants are not an option (husband very opposed) and I don't have the body fat needed for a fat transfer. I see many beautiful examples of "donut" mastopexy done with implants, but I can't find any without. Is this because it's a minimally effective surgery? How much of a lift can one expect from this method? I feel like this is the most "lifting" method not involving scars on the non-nipple areas of the breast, and I like that. Thanks!

Is a circumareolar lift alone worth it?

+2

It is hard to answer your question with seeing a picture.  Here are a few general guidelines.  If the breasts are significantly settled with a fair amount of the breast structure overhanging the fold, you will probably be disappointed with the results of a circumareolar lift.  I have carried out this operation in certain visually sophisticated patients who really want to avoid the extra scars and who are looking for a modest correction of breast tone.  With proper undermining, it is possible to place sutures that support the breast structure in the lower pole and provide a little bit of a lift.  I would look for a surgeon with considerable experience with this technique and other techniques of breast lift surgery.

Benelli

+2
I am a big fan of the Benelli lift done alone but this operation is definitely not for everyone. without a photograph we can only comment in generalizations. it gives a little bit less lift than other procedures but significantly less scar.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

+1

Without photos, it is hard to comment.

Chances are with a 50 pound weight loss and enough sagging that you have noticed, a circumareolar lift will not be adequate. It permits one to two cm of lifting, and is seldom done without implants unless it is really just to reduce areolar size. A vertical lift at least will be the more appropriate choice in all probability. 

All the best. 

Circumareolar Mastopexy without implants. Is it worth it.

+1

It depends on what type of breasts you have.  If you have tuberous breasts with quite a bit of breast tissue then doing an areolar mastopexy will take away the extra skin and bring it more in proportion to what you would like.  If you have too much sagging then you would most likely have to have a full mastopexy.

John S. Poser, MD

Circumareola Mastopexy Works It?

+1

Congratulations on your significant weight loss;  most patients who have lost this amount of weight benefit from some degree of breast lifting. direct examination  or viewing pictures will be necessary to determine  which type of breast lift will best meet your goals.

Your concerns about the value of doing a circle regular mastopexy operation  are valid. In my opinion, this operation will produce minimal benefits ( minimal breast lifting)  and (like any operation)  is associated with certain down sides. For example, abnormal scarring may occur. Therefore, unless you are specifically concerned about the size of the areola,  you may want to  stay away from this operation...

Of course, in person examination and a full communication of your goals will be necessary for more precise advice.

Circumareolar (Periareolar) Mastopexy +/- Breast implants

+1

Without an exam and learning from you more information about your wishes it is hard to give you a definitive answer. The answer to your question lies in letting you surgeon know specifically what you would like to look like following the surgery. For example, how perky do you want to be, what shape do you want to have, etc.? . Here is a rule of thumb that works for most patients. If you nipple is above your lower breast crease then often a periareolar lift will be sufficient for most patients. If your nipple is at or below your crease then a vertical lift (lollipop lift), inverted T or anchor pattern may be required. Breast lift alone will not replace the upper pole fullness loss that is typical with significant weight loss. This is why an implant is usually required. If you do not want to explore that option then consider fat transfer to the upper breast. Make sure you pick a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for this.Though this procedure is still considered investigational to a degree, more and more qualified plastic surgeons are using this technique successfully.   The advantage of this technique is its ability to create a natural augmentation without an implant. Fat grafting (also called lipoinjection or fat transfer) to the breasts is indicated for different reasons: as an alternative to implants for mild to moderate breast augmentations, to provide fullness to the upper part of the breast during a breast lift, after pregnancy, age, or weight loss, following breast reconstruction

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Circumareolar Mastopexy

+1

Whether or the procedure is worth depends on you. Circumareolar mastopexy tends to flatten the normal conical shape of the breast from the side view. The implant helps to lessen this, no implant makes the breast seem flatter.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Circumareolar Mastopexy WITHOUT Implants

+1

Actually I have done many circumareolar mastopexies over the years but always accompanied by an implant. I do not feel the mastopexy alone gives a natural attractive breast. The full mastopexy on the other hand gives a very youthful natural attractive result but it does have the scars you are worried about. I suspect if you speak with any postoperative patients they will tell you an attractive breast with a few white lines on it is preferable to a droopy, deflated older looking breast.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Periareolar mastopexy without implants is just an areolar reduction

+1

There is really no point to doing a periareolar mastopexy without implants unless the only thing you want is areolar reduction.  Otherwise, there is nothing to gain.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS