Is a Circumareolar Breast Lift Needed for Perky, Natural Looking Breasts?

Hello, I'm 25 years old, 5'4", 120 pounds, never had kids. I'm wearing 36A cup bra and want small C cup breast silicone implants.

went to 2 doctors for consultation and one of them told me I need circumareolar type lift and breast augmentation. That's scare me because as you can see on the picture, I have scar from mole removal and I had that surgery 5 years ago.

Do I really need lift to have perky natural looking breast. Thank you for your informations!

Circumareolar Breast Lift For Perky Breast Not First Choice For You

+5

I respect your concern about scarring. The Circumareolar Lift produces significant visible scarring and possibly puckering.

You are young and have not had children and your breasts are slightly constricted not really tubular.

I would start with a simple subglandular Breast Augmentation with Breast Implants.

This will fill your breast and give you the size that you want.

The implant will also through soft tissue expansion improve the shape of your breast and may also push the nipple areola forward and improve projection.

The scarring can be hidden under the breast and you may be very happy with the appearance.

If you decide later that you want elevation and projection of the nipple a lift can be done more accurately with better results.

Circumareolar or periareolar lift with implant for tuberous breasts

+2

I would agree with your doctor that an asymmetric periareolar lift would benefit you in combination with an implant.

Make sure you don't fixate on a particular size, since too large of an implant can result in a messhapen breast.  Often a higher profile implant of moderate size is the wisest choice for your type of breast.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Perky breasts may need a lift

+2

Thank you for your photos, there would be no way to answer your question with out them.  It looks like you could do fine with just implants to get the added fullness and perkiness you desire.  You should discuss this with your plastic surgeon to go over the finer issues.

A periareolar lift will decrease the size of the areola and give your skin a little more taught appearance.  These are qualities of a perky breast but would only be needed if you thought it was worth the added scars and expense.  You can always do the implants now and then opt to do a lift later if you wanted a different appearance.

Make sure you express your desires clearly to your plastic surgeon so you can get what you want.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Perky breasts-do I need a lift?

+2

Dear Breezy, Although it is nearly impossible to tell without examining you, I would tend to say yes.  The reason for this is slightly more complex because of your anatomy.  It appears you have a form of tubular breast deformity with a tight lower breast crease, an enlarged areola, and a kind of tuberous or topedo shape to the breast.  Your plastic surgeon will need to do several things to give you the best result including releasing the undersurface of the breast to allow it to expand.  I would also say do the lift as this will raise the niple and ive a more symmetric "perky look" to the breasts.  You might want to seek out several opinions before deciding on a plastic surgeon.  Good luck.  Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton FL.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

To lift or not

+2

Breezy,

The decision to have a breast lift is made depending on the laxity of your breasts typically. Your nipple appear to be above the fold of your breasts at eye level which would not push for a lift.  Other factors may be your request that your areola be made smaller which would require the peri-areolar lift. You have some mild asymmetry to your breasts and would most likely benefit from different sized implants that can be decided upon in the operating room using sizers. The bottom line is that you don't have to have a lift but the best determinant is what implant size you like and if you want your areola smaller.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

A circumareolar lift is ineffective. May wish to have implants alone now and possibly a vertical lift later.

+1

A circumareolar "lift" involves removing skin from around the areola.  It produces no significant lift and there is usually tension on the scar, distorting the areola.  If you need a lift, the vertical lift is more effective.  You may wish to have implants alone right now.  Later, if you develop more sagging with time, you can have a vertical lift, which is the best type for results.  I've attached a link to my website, showing vertical lifts.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Circumareolar Lift and Natural Perky Breasts

+1

Is a circumareolar lift necessary for you to achieve a "perky" breast? The short answer is no, but your situation is not completely straightforward. Your pictures indicate that you have a mild variation of a "tubular" breast shape. Which for you means that the base of your breast is somewhat narrow, the lower part of your breast in underdeveloped, and your overall breast shape is somewhat pointy or torpedo like. Also, your areolas are large relative to your breast size, the areolas are different sizes, and your breasts overall are different in size.  

So, how do you get a nice "perky" breast? An implant alone can get you a pretty good breast shape with some internal scoring or release of the lower pole. Given the apparent different breast size, corresponding different implant sizes could make you more symmetric. Another consideration might be a saline rather than gel implant as we will be relying somewhat on the implant to stretch out the lower portion of your breast. Saline implants do a much better job of modifying your breast shape, whereas gel implants tend to be shaped by your breast.

Then you have the issue of enlarged and assymetric areolas. Your particular breast shape is well suited to a circumareolar mastopexy. This type of mastopexy can reduce your areolar size and improve the assymetry however, this comes at the expense of a scar around your areola and you have to decide if it is worth the extra scars. This type of breast lift does tend to flatten your breast somewhat, however that works fine for your particular breast shape. A crescent mastopexy would not address your assymetry and just results in an unnatural scar with an elongated areolar shape. The scar from the mole removal has little predictive value for your breast scars. Your surgeon should be able to discuss these various considerations with you and together you can arrive at a balanced approach for your situation.

So your situation is somewhat complicated and ultimately requires various trade-offs in deciding what procedure, or combination of procedures, works well for you.

Braden Stridde, MD
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

What type of lift do I need?

+1

You are choosing to have breast augmentation, and you correctly assume that you will need a breast lift for a satisfactory result. You have some degree of constricted or tubular breasts, and would benefit from a technique where the tissue in the lower pole of the breast is "released" or scored so that is will properly expand over an implant.  It appears that a periareolar lift would work well for you...you need the areola reduced in size and lifted, but you do not need the degree of lift provided by a circumvertical lift, I do not think, and you do not need the lower pole tightening/narrowing that a vertical lift may cause since your breasts are already a bit narrow in the lower pole as part of the constricted breast deformity.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Periareolar lift

+1

I would recommend a periareolar lift to raise and even up your areolas and also to do some release of your lower pole.  You have a mild tuberous condition.   Also, don't fixate on a bra size.  Bras are all over the place as far as sizing goes (like all women's clothing!).  Make sure you "try on implants" and the surgeon helps you select an implant with an appropriate diameter.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Breast enlargement,Bennelli lift

+1

A circumareolar lift is actually used by me to reduce the size of a larger areola. It looks like one of yours is larger than the other so it would help for that. Unfortunately, this type of lift usually flattens the breasts and does not cause much of an uplift. You are a better candidate for a crescent lift just above the areola through which I put the breast implants.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon