When is Best Time to Get Second Coolsculpting Treatment to Same Areas?

I had a consultation where I was told that Zeltig now recommending second treatment on same areas after 30 days from first treatment for more effectiveness? Is this accurate? I've seen everywhere else that doctors recommend 3-4 months later. Thanks.

Second treatment of Coolsculpting

+2

It has become quite common to retreat Coolsculpting areas after 4-6 weeks rather than 3-4 months.  There is no benefit to waiting 3-4 months and patients are happy they can get to their end results and better contours sooner than before.  As with all technologies, the longer they are in use the more we find out and the more effectively we are able to treat patients.  Though treating sooner may not effect efficacy it speeds up the process.

Second treatment with CoolSculpting to lose fat

+2

Physicians initially waited about four months after CoolSculpting to do another treatment as there was close to the maximum volume of fat lost by that time (around 20%). About a year ago we had been receiving reports from some physicians that second treatments at four to six weeks after the first treatment might have a better end result. Theoretically this makes sense when understanding that the fat cells that were damaged by the freezing but didn't die from the first treatment might be more sensitive to refreezing before they have more time to heal and this could make the second treatment even more successful. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any clincial studies that measured this scientifically but we certainly have seen this in our NYC practice and routinely retreat with CoolSculpting at one month. I am aware of other doctors stacking treatment and reapply the applicator immediately after the first treatment is over. This is the newest of the three protocols to have been presented but I am waiting for more data to be presented about stacking in terms of its safety and effectiveness.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Second Coolsculpting Treatment

+1

We have been performing Coolsculpting since it was FDA approved three years ago. I generally will not perform a second treatment to the same area for at least 2 months.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting Treatment

+1
CoolSculpting is performed in "cycles" with each cycle taking an hour and covers one area. 60 minutes is required for the tissue to reach the correct temperature to cause the fat to shrink. Typically, separate cycles are needed for the upper and lower abdomen (each an hour), and each flank requires separate hour cycles. You can expect to see the full results in about 4 months, as the body's process of removing the fat is gradual and accomplished over time, so the complete changes aren't immediate. Estimates are that the CoolSculpting effects should last between 10-15 years, especially in those patients who maintain normal weight levels.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Second round of Coolsculpting

+1

In my practice, we do a second round of coolsculpting 2 months after the first session if needed.  In our initial consultation, we assess each patient and give an estimate of the number of treatments that will be needed to reach their goal.  We also try to give a time line for end results.

Heather Haley, MD
Mobile Dermatologic Surgeon

2-3 Months

+1
At the initial consultation, a provider will discuss how many treatments are recommended. The process itself is only an hour and takes 90 days to see full results. In my practice we tell patients to wait 2-3 months in between treatments. Some patients have such amazing results with their first treatment that a second may not be necessary. That is why it is important to see  a top provider of CoolSculpting Complete to make sure you are getting the most fat reduction for you treatment. Proper placement and appropriate applicator size is key in getting the area fully treated.

Top providers of CoolSculpting Complete are able to provide rebates for buy one area and get a second free. These providers also have two systems to provide the maximum amount of fat reduction in the least amount of time.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon