Cincinnati Ohio ENT Recommendations

I have a deviated septum, bone spur and my left nostril is almost closed. I am 30 yr old but have had severe breathing problems since I can remember. I am looking for ENT specialist recommendations in Cincinnati Ohio. Also wondering what portion would be potentially paid by my insurance? Thank You

Cincinatti rhinoplasty

+3

I would recommend seeing aplastic surgeon.  Dr. Curtis Martin does a nice job with rhinoplasty in cincinnati

Rian A. MAercks M.D.

Deviated septum correction: guidelines for choosing a nasal surgeon

+2

I am pleased to see that, at 30 years of age, you have decided to correct your breathing.  No reason to suffer for the rest of your life!

But I am not in a position to recommend any specific doctor in Cincinnati, Ohio, because I'm not familiar with the practitioners who specialize in that surgery there. 

But I can tell about certain principals that should be to employed in the search.

1. See a plastic surgeon who does a lot of nasal surgery.  If it is the majority of the practice, you are probably in the right shop. 

2. Look for a cosmetic plastic surgeon who has had fellowship training in nasal surgery. Generally, that's part of a fellowship taken after board certification, or after completion of a residency. 

3. I recommend seeing plastic surgeons who have at least 10 years experience in practice. 

It makes sense -- being a doctor is one of lifelong education, and none of us were the best we could be shortly after finishing our formal training. 

With respect to "what portion would be potentially paid by my insurance?," my best advice is to check with the insurance agent who sold you the policy if  it is an individual policy. 

If it is a group policy, go to your employer's HR department and ask for the person who specializes in the company's medical health insurance plan.  Generally, if you are having symptoms, problems, and complications with some abnormal anatomy, (which you apparently have in a deviated septum) it would seem that this is a health matter and might well be covered by your insurance. 

Before you proceed with the nasal surgery, be very comfortable that the insurance benefits would be paid, and get confirmation of that in writing by the insurance carrier and/or your employer. 

The best time to do all your work is up front before surgery.  After surgery, you are going to have a tougher road to run.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Robert Kotler, MD