Could This Be a Double Bubble? (photo)

I just got my breast augmentation on Oct 9th. I just noticed some swelling in the gap of my breast and under my left breast and only slightly under my right. My PS did lower my crease. Just wondering if this looks more like a double bubble or could it just be swelling from him lowering my breast fold. Just wanting to see if there is something I that wound help take this away

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

All Bubbles are Not Equal

+1

The "doubl-bubble" or "Snoopy" deformity can be caused by various issues, some related to surgery and some which are not.  Patients with a paucity of skin in the bottom or inferior pole of the breast can have a "natural" double fold that is not related to breast surgery.  This finding is often temporarily accentuated by breast augmentation but improves as the skin stretches and the implants settle.  The lowering of the breast fold was likely performed to address the significant breast asymmetry which is evident on your photographs. It is too early to evaluate the outcome of your procedure.  I would recommend sharing your concerns with your surgeon, reviewing your preoperative photographs with him/her and further discussing which of these issues are relevant to your case.  Good Luck and Thank you for your question.

Web reference: http://www.drbitar.com

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

1 Week and Double Bubble

+1

1 week after breast implants is too early to make any statements about double bubble as there is a great deal of swelling.  In addition, in cases of breast constriction, the fold must be released to some extent.  Sometimes, the fold can be taped to ameliorate this condition during early healing.  Kenneth Hughes, MD breast implants Los Angeles, CA

A form of double bubble

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo.  What you are seeing is the implant width and then the breast gland width being of different widths.  The interface of the two are separated by the presence of the pectoralis muscle.  With time, as the muscle relaxes, the linear indentation that you are seeing should improve and may go away completely.  Give the healing process more time.  There is nothing that you can do at this time to make the process go faster.

Dr Remus Repta

Web reference: http://www.aaaplasticsurgery.com/plastic-surgery/tummy-tuck.cfm

Could This Be a Double Bubble?

+1

Yes that "could" be a "double bubble" effect but you were very asymmetric so you should have been explained the need for multiple operations to achieve better symmetry. 

Early Double Bubble Deformity Or Swelling?

+1

At this early one week post-op time frame it is difficult to determine from these pictures what is swelling and what might be implant-related. Since your surgeon did lower your inframammary fold, there is a possibility that this is an early double bubble deformity. You obviously are concerned enough about it at this stage to ask the question, which makes me think the appearance I see in your photos may in fact be the implant. The lower pole of the left breast (more so than the right) seems to have two separate contours; the shape of which resembles a mild double bubble. You also have symmetric bruising in the lower pole of the breast (perhaps at the level of the native fold?). Was something done in this area as well?

A double bubble deformity occurs when the implant is placed (or settles) too low, and the shape of the implant differs from the contour of inferior pole of the breast at and above the native inframammary fold.

Typically following most augmentations, when the inframammary fold has been lowered, the native fold is no longer visible post-op; although this does depend upon breast shape, fold anatomy, the size/shape of the implant, and the surgical dissection. If the native inframammary fold is softer, and the post-op appearance of the native fold is subtle after it is lowered, the native fold may stretch and the breast shape will be normal. But if the native inframammary fold is tighter, the fold is unlikely to stretch and as the implant settles the double bubble deformity will appear or become more evident.

You should ask your surgeon about your concern as a simple examination will likely help make the determination. If this is unfortunately a double bubble, it can usually be corrected by raising the inframammary fold with internal sutures. If the diameter of the implant exceeds the base width of the breast, the implant could be down-sized as well. For patients that have some breast drooping, a small lift may help improve breast shape as well.

Best wishes, Ken Dembny

Web reference: http://www.drdembny.com

Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Double Bubble?

+1

At one week after surgery it is difficult to tell. Since you mention that your surgeon lowered the fold, this could represent the impression from the original breast fold. Often these stretch out over the course of months following surgery.

Discuss this with your surgeon at your post-op visit. 

Thanks for your question and  for the photos which are most helpful.

Swelling or Double Bubble after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to ascertain whether the fullness you are seeing is swelling or secondary to the breast implant. My best guess, only one week after surgery, is that you are dealing with swelling. Of course, time will tell. I would suggest that you follow-up with your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to advise you.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm