Do I HAVE to Change my Lifestyle After Lipo? (photo)

I have been at a stable weight for like 8 years at 145. I can't lose my stomach fat when I exercise/dieting. If I have been at a stable weight for years, would I still need to change my lifestyle? Is weight easier to gain after lipo? I don't exercise and not a health freak but I don't gain weight, just can't lose the weight I gained when I was a kid. Weight won't be gained after lipo if it wasnt gained before lipo if I stay with my same lifestyle...? I just don't want to get back fat :(

Maintenance of liposuction results

+2

Congratulations, it sounds like you are an excellent candidate for liposuction!  Liposuction is a great tool for patients who are at a stable, healthy weight who want to address an area of stubborn fat.  It is not a substitute for a healthy lifestyle and will not result in significant weight loss.  Liposuction permanently removes fat cells, but you can never remove 100% of the fat in a given area.  Unfortunately our fat cells have an unlimited capacity to expand so if you gain weight after the procedure, your stomach fat could return.  If you maintain the same habits, your results should stick as well.

Do I HAVE to Change my Lifestyle After Lipo?

+1

If you maintain a stable weight, this should not be an issue.  Liposuction results are highly surgeon dependent.  I think that you will have a great result with the right surgeon.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Will I gain weight after lipo?

+1

Short answer is that if you continue to control your diet, you will not gain weight. As you age and metabolism slows, then you either have to reduce your caloric intake or begin to exercise, which is never a bad thing. From the photos, you appear to be a good candidate for liposuction.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Ideal candidate for liposuction

+1

You should be an ideal candidate for liposuction on your tummy. Liposuction is not a weight reduction procedure. It is a re-contouring operation. Liposuction permanently removes fat cells from your tummy. However, there are plenty more fat cells left behind on your tummy. Therefore, if you gain weight, there will be fewer fat cells on your tummy competing for the circulating fat in your blood. Therefore, your tummy will not increase in size as much as if you did not have the lipo. Liposuction does not cause you to gain weight. Taking in more calories than your body needs to maintain your current weight is what causes people to gain weight. If you maintain your current lifestyle, you will not gain weight and the improvement from the liposuction will be very long lasting.

John J. Bandeian, MD
Bristol Plastic Surgeon

Weight Gain After Liposuction

+1

You are fortunate that you can maintain your weight despite not being active with exercise. Liposuction should not alter this characteristic about you, but if you do happen to gain weight, it will likely deposit in other areas as well. However, it is a good idea to include some type of aerobic activity into your lifestyle to keep you healthy in many other respects.

Gus Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

+1

Based on your photos, you look like a good candidate for lipo.  If you remain at a stable weight, you will not gain fat back.  You can gain fat in other areas if you gain weight, which would have happened without lipo been done as well.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

How to Maintain Your Results After Liposuction

+1

Dear dogblondie,

Liposuction is an excellent treatment to reduce unwanted fat and to contour problem areas such as the abdomen.

To maintain your results after liposuction, it is important to keep a healthy lifestyle with proper diet, exercise, and avoidance of weight gain.

Fat that is removed during liposuction should not return if you do not gain weight.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD