A Red Bump Above my Scar and Not Sure What It Is?

I am 8 weeks PO from full tummy tuck. About 2 weeks ago I noticed a red bump above my scar. I thought it was a bug bite. After a couple days it started to look inflamed. I went into PS and he was unsure. He prescribed a week of antibiotics to be safe. The bump decreased in size and redness. Upon completion of antibiotic it looked much better, but now 4 days later it is looking larger and more red again. I plan to call Dr. tomorrow morning but am curious to what this could be.

Suture Reaction after Tummy Tuck

+1

Most likely this is an inflammatory reaction to an indwelling suture. This can happen even months after tunny tuck surgery. The improvement and now return after antibiotics indicate that is exactly what it is.

+1

You already have the right plan--to see the surgeon. Chances are this is related to a suture that, if I am correct, your surgeon will probably plan to remove, and that will resolve the situation. 

All the best. 

More than likely this is a suture knot abscess

+1

More than likely this is a suture knot abscess.  They are quite common.  Once the suture protrudes through the skin it needs to be removed.  That will settle down the infection and inflammation in this area.  

Tummy tuck bump

+1

Probably a suture spitting or a localized infection. The area may need to be opened up and drained. The antibiotics might also help. 

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Red bumps above the scar-Dr. Costanzo, Thousand Oaks, CA.

+1

Most likely this is a reaction to sutures below the surface.  Most often this is self resolving.

Dr. Costanzo, Thousand Oaks, CA.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon