Chronic Seroma After Tummy Tuck

I developed a seroma after having a large tummy tuck. Dr. placed drains back in, and I continued to drain for one month. Then he took me back to surgery and removed a large seroma pocket which extened my entire tummy.

He also placed new drains and I have been wearing my binder two weeks after this procedure I am still draining about 200cc/day total (4 drains). What should I do?

Seromas and tummy tucks

+2

It sounds like  your doctor did the right thing by removing the seroma cavity. Be patient, and follow your doctor's advice.

Chronic seroma after he tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective way to contour the abdomen. Like all surgery, tummy tucks to carry some risk. One unfortunate complication is the development of a seroma. As a seroma begins to develop, your plastic surgeon may choose to drain it with a needle and syringe. After this drainage, it is essential that you wear a tight compression garment to prevent the fluid from reaccumulating. If the seroma returns, it is possible that the inside of the seroma has created a wall tissue that is now producing that fluid. Your surgeon may open a small portion of the incision and place a small wick in this area to help the seroma close. Another option is to perform a small surgery to remove the wall of scar tissue that continues to produce this fluid.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Sounds like your doctor is managing seroma correctly

+1

Your doctor is managing the seroma correctly. Hopefully, in time, the drainage will continue to decrease until it is small enough to remove the drains.

Occaisionally, after very prolonged periods of drainage, a membrane can form around the seroma and prevent closure of the pocket. I am sure your doctor was looking for this and addressed the problem during the re-surgery.

It sounds to me like you are being managed properly, so it is important to follow your doctors plan.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Persistent and recurrent seroma after tummy tuck

+1

This is quite unusual but it sounds as if your surgeon is delivering appropriate care and management of your condition. In some instances "sclerosants" or quititing sutures may be required to obliterate the space.

Everything Sounds Right

+1

Your surgeon clearly understands the nature of seromas. He took you back to the OR because the seroma cavity will start to get a rind or start of a capsule with will impede the recovery.

It's often just a matter of time for the fluid to slow down. Remember it's that the body has to reestablish the tiny, one cell layer thick lymphatic vessels that return that fluid to the rest of the body. Time will heal.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon