Chronic Infection from Earring an Indication of Possible Rejection of Silicone Implant?

For 3 years, I have had a chronic infection from a cartilage ear piercing. My earrings were made from surgical grade steel and I took very good care of the piercing. I asked my doctor if my ear's inability to heal completely is an indication of how my body will react to the silicone implant in my nose (since they are both foreign materials) and he said that they were unrelated but would not elaborate any further. Do you agree with my doctor? By the way, I have earlobe piercings that healed fine.

Infection of ear piercing not indicative of silicone implant rejection

+1

A chronic infection from an earring has nothing to do with whether a silicone implant can be used in a rhinoplasty.  They are two separate issues and are unrelated in the healing process.  The piercing has irritated the cartilage through an external incision where as with rhinoplasty an inert substance of silicone and silastic plastic is inserted underneath the skin. 

+1

Unless you have some underlying problem that is unknown their should be no correlation between the two.

You should investigate the reason for the recurring infection/inflamation non healing wound of the ear with your doctor in order to prevent a sever complication thaat could cause lose of cartilage in your ear!

Good Luck!

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

I agree with your doctor

+1

As long as you don't have an active infection in your ear at the time of breast augmentation surgery, you shouldn't have a problem with the surgery.  The two thing are unrelated.

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon