How Do I Chose the Right Size and Shape Breast for Me?

I'm a 34 H cup, 124 lbs 45 years old. I've loved my breast until recently. Extreme wt loss (weighed 101 lbs) due to apendex cancer. (Who knew) Recovery wt gain 33 pounds in 2 years then lost 10 pounds. My breast went from a great 36 DD to 34 H. Now the girls cause pain & are less attractive. I've had 1 meeting with a PS to submit info to ins. Now I'm trying to figure out how to decide on shape & size. I really want to love my breast again. The whole reduction & lift process is terrifying.

How to decide on what size is good for you?

+2

If you are considering a reduction as you imply the size of your breasts causing pain, your surgeon should help you understand that a cup size cannot be guaranteed and that your breasts will be rejuvenated by the reduction procedure resulting in your nipples being elevated (and the areola made smaller if yours are excessive).  If you are doing this through insurance, there are minimum weights that have to be removed for your insurance carrier to cover the procedure.  Depending on how heavy and dense your breasts, are, you can help guide your surgeon by asking for him or her to be aggressive (leaving your smaller), conservative (leaving you larger) or to simply do the operation as they see fit and accept the result from that.  My patients are universally pleased with their result obtained using their input.  Your surgeon should provide you with different techniques on how best to achieve your reduction as well as the scarring differs.

Plastic surgeon will guide you

+2
When having a reduction and lift your plastic surgeon will advise what size she/he thinks will be in proportion and that you will be happy with. An adequate consultation with good communication will address your concerns.

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Breast size choices during reduction

+2

Your surgeon who can see and evaluate you will give you the best idea of the shape and size to suit the available breast, skin envelope and your chest size. Your own input is very important as well so your goals are understood. Don't let fear hold you back, and two consults may be better than one.

Choosing Your Breast Size with Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

Thank you for your question. Based on your description you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

I would suggest that you do your due diligence and select a plastic surgeon carefully. Ask to see lots of examples of their work helping patients similar to yourself.

It will be very important for you to communicate your goals, concerns, and questions with your plastic surgeon. I would suggest that you write these down before your preoperative appointment.

In my practice, I ask patients to collect "goal  pictures”  of breasts which they like, breasts that are too big, and breasts that are too small as well.  I find that the use of pictures is more helpful than the words “natural” or "proportionate” etc., which can mean different things to different people.

Many of my patients choose to have enough breast tissue removed to help alleviate symptoms while retaining enough breast tissue to remain proportionate to the remainder of  bare torso. Again, preoperative communication will be critical.

Breast Reshaping, Repositioning and Reduction

+1

There is a new procedure called The Ultimate Breast Lift, which produces attractive breasts without the vertical scar.  This technique repositions the breast high on the chest wall, increases cleavage and reshapes the breast creating upper pole fullness to the patients desire.  Breast weight is transferred to the underlying muscle so the patient can choose the size appropriate for their body.  Many patients are terrified by breast lift or reduction because of the ugly scars and porr results of the Wise pattern, which was developed in 1956.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Choosing breast size

+1

Without pictures it is very difficult to comment appropriately. If you don't want to post pictures, your best bet is to have consultations with several board certified plastic surgeons and explain your concerns, how you used to look, what you like, what you don't like and see what they say. There will probably be several different recommendations and you can go with the one that makes the most sense to you. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon