What do you think about choosing a plastic surgeon not yet board certified and only in practice 1 1/2?

Everything I read is to have a board certified plastic surgeon perform your plastic surgery, What about a doctor who is a potentially a candidate for board cerfification and just entered private practice about 1 1/2 ago?

+3

There is nothing concerning about this scenario. It typically takes a couple of years to become board certified after entering practice. You're essentially choosing a board eligible physician with only 1.5 years of experience. If you trust this surgeon and like their results, you should delve deeper and figure out how much training they've had in your procedure of interest and how many procedures of that type they have performed as the sole surgeon. Not cases where someone looked over their shoulder and told them what to do but how many times they've performed that procedure on their own without assistance. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

+2

I would want to see some before and after pictures. Also discuss openly with the doctor how long procedure will take. You do not want a 12 hour face lift. He or she may also have a senior partner or colleague help which is fine. We all tend to get better the more we do of any procedure. I certainly thank my early facelift patients who trusted me. I know I did the best job I could and took my time and went the extra mile to give them great results. Good Luck

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Board Certification Is Only 1 Piece of the Puzzle

+1
This is a great question. Certification by a nationally recognized board is an important addition to any doctor's CV. However, for a doctor to become board certified, he or she needs to have a few years of experience under his or her belt. There are some extremely talented young surgeons out there who aren't yet board certified. If you're considering one, take a look at his or her before-and-after photos and read patient testimonials. Be sure to review your surgeon's CV, too. Check that he or she graduated from an accredited medical school and is licensed to practice medicine in your state. A board-certified surgeon may be your best bet, but it's certainly not your only option.

Thomas McNemar, MD, FACS
San Ramon Plastic Surgeon

Board Certification

+1

Consider having one procedure and not multiple procedures with the new surgeon. Every Plastic Surgeon has to start some where. Be sure you are open with him with your concerns.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Facelift

+1

I would avoid it. Having said that, I work in a country where you can't operate without being board certified. It's a bit scary in the US that a non-certified physician can operate on people. I think common sense would suggest that you find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

New doctors

+1

Being one of them at one time, I can't say anything negative. If they are good at what you want done (can see photos or talk to patients), have a good revision policy and office staff, is responsive to patient needs and the price is more then competitive, you can get a good result. Numbers of cases do contribute to ones wisdom over time but if your doctor assures you he/she will be with you for the whole journey, certainly consider it.

Curtis Wong, MD

Board Certification

+1

Every plastic surgeon starts this way.

If you have confidence in the surgeon and his/her training, go ahead.

For your first operation, it's best to have one procedure, not multiple ones at the same time.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Choosing a Surgeon 18 Months In To Private Practice

+1

This is a very good question. Based on my 12 years in practice since fellowship, it suffices to say that time and experience give a Surgeon great perspective on what works and what doesn't. I am certainly much happier with my results now compared to 2001. That having been said, a Surgeon who isn't very talented at 33 isn't going to become magically talented at 45. I was certainly very condfidenrt in my abilities when I started and many younger Surgeons possess great talent and skill.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Board certification

+1

There are pros and cons to using a young surgeon - less experienced and probably much less expensive - but not necessarily less good - that being said, I feel that my results, 8 years into practice are much better than they were when I was 1.5 years into practice.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a plastic surgeon who is not yet board-certified and only in practice one and a half years.

+1

Choosing a plastic surgeon who is not yet board-certified and only in practice one and a half years. This is a bit of a chance on your part. The reason they call it the practice of medicine is because practice makes perfect. Chooes a very experienced surgeon for the best results in my opinion.