How to Choose Between Chemical Peels, Microdermabrasion and Laser?

I am unsure what route to go down whether to have a Chemical peel, Microdermabrasion or laser treatment. Here is my self assessment of my skin: I have light acne scarring, some discoloration, redness around nose and a little on cheeks, and pores could be made smaller. Which among the mentioned treatments will work best on my problems? Thanks in advance!

Microdermabrasion vs Peels vs Lasers

+2

Each of these modalities have a role and it depends on several factors which is best for you. First you must be seen by an experienced physician who will evacuate your skin - the amount of sun damage, pore size, depth of acne scarring, skin texture and color, wrinkles, furrows, smoking habits, sun exposure, etc. He/she should discuss with you your goals and expectations and then advise a treatment plan based on all of this. (Certainly a medical history is mandatory as well). Although a series of microdermabrasions may improve your skin, it is likely that you may want or eventually do something more intense such as peels or laser treatments. Again, you must discuss the pros and cons of each of these with your physician. Do not be afraid to ask what their laser experience is, see pictures and possible talk with patients that have had the proposed procedures done. The Fraxel laser (both re:Store and re:Pair) are very good for your problems with the re:Pair better for acne scarring. So, sometimes the end result is the same but it may take longer to get there with certain treatments or cost more. Regardless, you must also be seen by a medical aesthetician to establish a skin care program which will help to maintain whatever you achieve.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Consultation Needed to Tailor Specific Treatments

+1
A plastic surgeon or dermatologist trained Aestheticians and Medical Aestheticians need to work hand-in-hand to develop a successful skin care program and most important need to evaluate your specific skin problems and charactreristics to provide a program of treatments tailored to your needs.. Each offers different levels of services. Identification of those conditions requiring advanced services or medical products are key to the success of this program.
Clients with the following conditions should be referred to a medical aesthetician:
  1. Hyperpigmentation and irregular pigmentation, age spots
  2. Acne and its complications – e.g. scarring, hyperpigmentation, and large pores
  3. Rosacea
  4. Rhytides (Wrinkles) treatment
  5. Patients with medical conditions such as Diabetes, Exzema, history of cold sore, shingles, psoriasis, rosacea, or steroid use
  6. Scar Management
  7. Previous chemical peel or laser treatment
  8. Severe sun damage (actinic changes of the skin)
  9. Plateau of results by conventional spa services requiring more aggressive medical based protocols
  10. Patients with a history of Skin Cancer or pre-cancers ( e.g. Actinic Keratosis, pigmented sores, or scaling lesions)

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Assessment necessary to determine best course of action

+1
It would be difficult to respond to your question without a physical examination of your skin. Each have their own merits and are successful in treating acne scars, but it depends on your skin and concerns.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Which problem bothers you the most is the first question?

+1
If you are on a budget, then microdermabrasion can have a slight effect on the temporary improvement of acne scars, but also help your discolouration. It can not treat redness around your nose and cheeks. 

Laser is a two step process, you can go thru either full laser ablation, or fractional, and it will improve your acne scars, and discoulouration, but you will need something like a vascular laser or IPL for redness. Laser can improve your pore size. 

Choosing a correct treatment for your particular problem is the way to go, not the other way around. 

Cheers, 

DR Davin Lim 
Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia.

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Chemical peels, microdermabrasion or laser

+1

Do yourself a favor and don't try to choose the treatment modality.  Instead, make your effort be one of choosing a physican who listens to you and who is experienced in these various modalities, all of which may be effective in certain situations.  good luck!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

You probably need all three: Laser, Chemical Peels, and Microdermabrasions

+1

For acne scarred and discolored skin, you probably need a variety of treatments to get the best results. Lasers help with the scarring while chemical peels do better for discolorations. Microdermabrasions do good to maintain your complexion once you get it cleared up and the way you like it. Fraxel laser $1000 each; light chem peels $250 each; Microdermabrasions $100 each.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Have you considered other options first?

+1

Have you considered trying products before using lasers and office procedures? My microdermabrasion treatment's convenient home formula provides the benefits of a spa treatment without ever leaving your home. An enriched blend of exfoliators gently but effectively sloughs off dull cells, frees pores of impurities, and helps correct environmental damage. Mechanically deep-cleans the skin with natural particles and AHA (alpha hydroxy acids), penetrating the surface for deep exfoliation. Restores, rejuvenates, and renews the skin without flaking. Check it out at http://drmichellecopeland.com/product_info.phpcPath=1_6&products_id=101&osCsid=67c86201fc9e26fbfba6cffe93a4124b

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Peels, Lasers, dermabrasion

+1

Whether you choose a peel, a laser treatment or dermabrasion is a choice you make with your doctor.  All can give you the same results.  I personally think that the laser treatments can be more precise.

Peels versus Dermabrasion versus Laser

+1

It all really depends on what is best for you skin. Based on your description, it sounds like you would benefit greatly from laser. However, without seeing you in person, it is hard to tell for sure. If you are looking for a mild change over time, then chemical peels may be better. If you want immediate and effective treatment and have time for recovery, then laser may be best. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

If you can, laser the best

+1

I am a fan of chemical peels and microdermabrasion for early photoaging, discoloration, and mild acne, but if you have scars, lasers work better. The gold standard is Ultra Pulsed CO2 laser (fractional is safest and more than adequate for mild scars), but the downtime can be a problem. Fraxel restore is great for mild scars and has little downtime and is useful for ethnic skin, so it is my first choice for what you describe.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist