How Do I Choose a Surgeon for Revision?

I had liposuction by a surgeon I did a lot of research on. The results are terrible. Other surgeons have told me they can make an improvement but they don't know how much of an improvement. I am devastated and feel incredibly uncomfortable. Im afraid I've ruined my life. I know that I need revision but I am deathly afraid of making the situation worse. How can I choose a surgeon that will give me the best possible results? What are the chances that revision will make the situation worse?

Surgeon for Revision

+1

I am sorry for your unhappy experience.  Ensure that you are consulting with board certified plastic surgeons for the best possible recommendations. The ASPS website can provide you a list of qualified surgeons in your area. Consult with 2 to 3 surgeons in your area.  If the recommendation is consistent with all 3, you will have an understanding of your options. The one with the experience and expertise to perform the surgery and the understanding of your needs is the best option for you.

Choosing a Surgeon?

+1

I would suggest you start with the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery and visit a few doctors' web sites and offices in your area. Ask to see examples of similar patients who they have helped. Speak to these patients if at all possible.

Who do perform lipo redo/

+1

Check your new surgeons credentials. I would look for a member of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons who speciaiize in plastic surgery. Correction would involve on or a combination of fat grafting, more lipo or a skin removal procedure such as a tummy tuck or thigh lift. Ask to see results of revisions you new surgeon has performed. Without photos and and an exam, i can say no more.

Richard Linderman, MD

Revision after liposuction

+1

You have already taken the right step by asking other opinions in person.  As you are very upset by the appearance, you must rely on opinions of liposuction experts who see you in person, not by reading your concerns or even looking at photographs. You haven't mentioned what looks bad. Over resection with indentations, or residual areas of undercorrection, or both? Is the skin affected by over resection? Will liposuction done focally in raised areas and fat injections done in indentations, help? These are important questions that can't be answered well for you on the internet.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction - Revision

+1

Hi kb1280 in New York,

Obviously, I'm sorry that you don't have a result you're happy with, and there are no simple or absolute answers to your question.

However, in general, the process for selecting a surgeon for a revision is similar to selecting a surgeon the first time around.  It's a combination of approaches - in a sense, that "Dr. ______'s name just kept coming up."  You should ask any friends you have who might know about this.  You should contact surgery.org to find surgeons near you.  Beauty salon personnel are often very knowledgeable about surgeons in their communities.

Then you need to start visiting the surgeons.  You should, of course, do some research ahead of time - know what type of liposuction you had, any problems with the procedure, etc - and know what is realistic and achievable.  Then, armed with this info, visit a few surgeons to see what they say.

And you have to listen to what they say, and not necessarily just go with what you want to hear.

Easy for me to say all that, but that's what I'd recommend.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

How to pick a plastic surgeon.

+1

Liposuction deformities can almost always be made a lot better with a combination of fat injections, touch up liposuction, and occasionally skin excision.  Here are some suggestions for picking a doctor:

1) Is the surgeon a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery? Members usually do a lot of cosmetic surgery.

2) Did you sense a commitment to excellence in the office. Did the surgeon spend a lot of time with you? Someone who rushes through the consultation may rush through the surgery.

3) Were you treated as an individual? Did the surgeon present you with a surgical plan tailor made for you?

4) Plastic surgeons have to have a good eye and meticulous technique.  Did the surgeon show you A LOT of before and after pictures, and did you love the results?

5) Talk to other doctors you know. Established plastic surgeons have a reputation in the community, good or bad.

6)  Ask to speak to a patient who has had the procedure you want.  You are looking for a surgeon who does a lot of what you want.   Many  patients are eager to share their experience.  Privacy is preserved by having the patient call you.

7)   With office surgery, make sure the surgical facility is ACCREDITED.   Very important safety assurance.

8)   Make sure the anesthesia is given by a BOARD CERTIFIED ANESTHESIOLOGIST.  Another very important safety factor.

9)  Make sure the office has trained nurses available for hands-on post operative care.  This can really speed recovery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Choosing a surgeon

+1

The first place you can start is by going to the ASPS or ASAPS websites and look for a board certified plastic surgeon in your community.  Look at the surgeons results if possible and speak to staff and the doctor in person.  Good luck.

Liposuction revision

+1

When choosing a plastic surgeon, begin your research by locating a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) and one who specializes in cosmetic surgery and is a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS).  At your consultation, you should ask your doctor what his or her experience has been with revision cases, as well as the treatment plan for you. Good luck.  

Andrew P. Giacobbe, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a surgeon for revision surgery

+1

You are faced with a difficult decision and I truly feel for you since there is no great way to evaluate an individual surgeons ability.  The best things you can do are look for one certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, has lots of experience and can show you good before and after photos and even speak with previous patients.  You can do all these things and still end up with a result that is less than adequate, but it is about the best you can do.  Someone who charges more is not necessarily better and an affluent address doesn't mean much either.

Look for a surgeon who meets the above criteria plus also seems to be listening to you and honest with you.  That's about the best you can do.

Best of luck.

Byron D. Poindexter, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

You may need fat grafting.

+1
Please send before and after pictures. It is impossible to give good answer without any information. In general if patient has bad results from liposuction , the treatment would involve fat grafting and revision liposuction.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon