Should I Choose a Surgeon for Rhinoplasty if He Does Not Provide Before and After Photos of His Previous Patients?

I have been referred to an ENT doctor by my family physician for a consultation regarding my deviated septum and other cosmetic reasons. This surgeon has all the certifications that most other rhinoplasty surgeons have (board certified etc.) and is also very experienced. His name is Dr. Jack Shahin and he practices in scarborough, When asked him about before and after photos he said he doesn't do that because of the privacy of his patients. However, he does do computer imaging. let me know plz.

Review of before after photos is a must - this is the reality check between promises and results

+2

Speaking from my experience photos play very important role in my practice. Most patients are looking to see what kind of results they can expect. If you have many patients  some of them will be willing to share their story and pictures only remembering how important it was for them to have someone's else photos available.
We also offer computer imaging  for our rhinoplasty patients, but that only helps to discuss patients expectations and discuss limits of the procedure.
I hope it helps to make your decision about choosing the specialist with great credentials and lots of experience to perform your surgery.

Rhinoplasty before and afters needed before I choose my surgeon?

+2

Rhinoplasty before and afters needed before I choose my surgeon? I would not buy a car unseen or a horse! You need to see the surgeon's work and speak to a patient--NOT IMAGING. My son is good at imaging but know nothing about rhinoplasty.

Review photos of a surgeon's previous work before scheduling plastic surgery

+2

Not having before and after photos available for cosmetic procedures is unusual. You might consider speaking to several of his current/ former patients to determine whether they are happy with the surgeon's results. The office will typically set these phone calls up for you. Video imaging is helpful but you also want the reassurance of seeing or discussing actual results with previous surgical patients. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Photos are extremely important

+1

No. Most surgeons are proud of our work and photos demonstrate one's competence and experience!

Blane T. Shatkin, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

+1

I cannot imagine a Plastic Surgeon who does not show before and after photos to his prospective patients.  in this current climate of surgery I would definitely want to see those photographs before making a final decision on choosing my surgeon.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Before/after photos

+1

It is very important to view examples of your doctors actual work to see if his/her aesthetic is in line with your goals and help determine if what they show you on computer imaging is achievable by them.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and photos

+1

I will say that I have a hard time having patients allow me to show their photos on my website, but most allow me to show them to patients in the office.

Before-After pictures of rhinoplasty

+1

In today's climate, it would be difficult to ask a patient to have surgery without seeing examples of the surgeon's work.  That's not to say the surgeon is not a good surgeon, but is the surgeon's taste and aesthetic exactly the same as the patient's?  Often it is not.

It is easy to produce amazing before-after images in two dimensions; it is much more difficult in three and four dimensions (the nose over time).

I personally would want to see a number of before-after pictures before proceeding with nasal surgery, or any surgery for that matter.  

Brent Moelleken, MD

Rhinoplasty before and after photos

+1

It is critically important to evaluate a surgeon's work by looking at his before and after photos.   An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will have many before and after photos in their gallery for patients to review. We obtain written authorization from our patients to allow us to use their pictures on our website. Computer imaging is also important, but  remember this is just communication tool

Rhinoplasty Photos

+1

Many patients do not want their photos shared with others for privacy issues, particularly models and actors.  However, many physicians will have before and after photos that patients allow to be shared with you in the privacy of the doctor's office.  There is also nothing wrong with not having photos.  The most important before and after, after all, is your own and computer morphing is essential for communication purposes. 

If this physician is a referral, he/she may be a good choice.  The most important thing is that you feel comfortable with your surgeon. 

Kimberly Lee, MD