How Do I Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon?

I've been wanting a rhinoplasty for years! I've been researching doctors but I'm not sure who to choose. The doctors I've researched all seem very qualified and it makes for a difficult decision. I have also tried comparing photos to narrow down the selection. I'm a little anxious about having the procedure because I need to be able to trust my doctor and know I'm in good hands to undergo this procedure. I just wish I knew who I should go to so I can get my rhinoplasty done.

How to choose a rhinoplasty surgeon

+2

Rhinoplasty is a difficult procedure so make sure that you choose someone that specializes in the procedure.  How do you know?  Read the bio on their website.  Space limitations mean they can only highlight a certain number of procedures, so the ones they really specialize in, will be in the bio. Next, make sure you choose a board-certified  facial plastic surgeon or general plastic surgeon.  Lastly, get a sense of the surgeon's aesthetic.  Some surgeons do the same rhinoplasty on every patient and all their results look the same.  The very best surgeons are facile with different techniques and can sculpt the nose in your image and not theirs.  Oh, and one last thing, don't be in a rush.  Take your time, interview multiple surgeons and make sure you have the right one before the operation.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing The Right Surgeon Takes Time- Be patient and Do Your Homework

+2

First- take your time. Do not proceed until you feel completely comfortable with your choice. Schedule consultations with multiple surgeons. Look at the photos in their office. A rhinoplasty is the most difficult of all the facial plastic surgery procedures so make sure that this particular procedure is one of their "specialty" procedures (i.e.how many have they done, what is their average number per week, what percentage are revision surgeries). Ask to talk with some of their previous patients who have undergone a rhinoplasty. If needed, consult with the same surgeon 2 or 3 times. Remember, you are not only looking for someone who will be able to deliver the kind of result you desire, but are also looking for someone you trust to take care of you afterwards in case something doesn't go quite as planned. You can't be in a hurry with this. You will know when you have found the right person. Good Luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a surgeon for rhinoplasty.

+2

Choosing a surgeon for  rhinoplasty ijs difficult for the patient. Make sure you see long term -1 year results and better if you meet with the surgeons live patients. I always have patients in the office to meet with new patients and you should find a surgeon who will do that for you.

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon can be a very difficult procedure for some patients.  Look for a surgeon that you have excellent repoire with and who has performed several thousand rhinoplasties a low rate of revision.  It is best to look for a surgeon who is board certified in otolaryngology as well as facial plastic and reconstructive surgery and who also has devoted an extensive amount of their practice to the field of rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty.  An extensive photo gallery of their work is also helpful.  In addition, it is important to have a board certified physician anesthesiologist performing the anesthesia in a certified ambulatory surgery center.

Choosing a Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+1

First and foremost, we always recommend using a board-certified plastic surgeon for your rhinoplasty procedure.  RealSelf is a good resource to find surgeons based on the procedure you are looking for, and make sure to take time and look at surgeon's websites, specifically at their photo galleries so you can see examples of their work.  Focus on trying to find photos that are similar to the kind of changes you are looking for.  Hope this helps.

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Choosing a Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+1

Rhinoplasty is by far the most artistic and technically demanding procedure in facial plastic surgery. It is crucial that you do your homework when selecting a Surgeon. I suggest selecting a Board Certified surgeon who specializes in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to chose a surgeon for rhinoplasty

+1

There are 3 main criteria:

Do I like his personality and does it match mine? (Pesonality)

Do like his work? (Skill)

Does he understand what I want , does he have a good plan and do I understand what he intends to do and what is his esthetic goal? (communication)

Remember it is about you -  not about his ego. 

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

How Do I Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon?

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty for 25 years and IMHO, choose your Rhinoplasty Surgeon based on his/her ability to understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally more attractive nose and face as technical ability is simply not enough.  Hope this helps. 

Your Choice

+1

You need to "connect" with an experienced professional who performs rhinoplasty surgery on a daily basis who makes your nose an important part of their practice and who possesses excellent communication skills.  There are probably a number of board certified Cosmetic Surgeons who can meet these standards.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+1

For a patient, choosing a surgeon is the most difficult part of rhinoplasty surgery. You obviously have not met the right surgeon or you would have scheduled the procedure. It sounds like you're doing all the right things.