How Do I Choose a Lip Augmentation Surgeon to Get my Upper Lip Enhanced?

Should I consider surgery as well as filler options for enhancing my upper lip? How do I choose the right doctor  for either option?

Choosing Temporary Fillers like Juvederm For Lip Augmentation Prior To Making Decisions About Surgeon

+1

If you are looking to get your upper lip enhanced, it is best to start with fillers like Juvederm as opposed to opting for a more permanent option like surgery. There is an artistic element to enhancing the lips so that the results are aesthetically balanced with the rest of the face.  If you start with fillers, choose to have a conservative amount injected at first. This will give you time to think about what modifications you might like to make if any. Once you reach a point where you are happy with your lips, you can document this with photos as a reference.

Keep in mind that surgery is permanent. Your face will change as you get older. Permanent solutions will not be able to adapt to these changes and the results at a later point in time may be less than natural looking. 

As far as choosing doctors,  it is important they are board certified. Also request before and after pictures or videos of patients they have treated in the past.

Web reference: http://www.finetouchdermatology.com/los-angeles-juvederm/

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Who to choose

+1

There are a lot of very skilled surgeons out there and it would take forever to consult with every one of them. If I was the one seeking to have a procedure done no matter the intensity, I would look for these key resources on the surgeon’s web site. I would look to see if there was before and after’s of course. Before and after photos are good ways to see the shadowing differences. The shadowing is part of the theory that our aesthetic has a lot to do with how our brains perceive the lay out of the facial structure.  Make sure the before and after photos are not altered by the scrunching of the face or neck to make the neck and chin look better in the after photo. I would also look for videos of the surgeon doing different procedures. They are very informational. Just be sure it’s the actual surgeon you are researching on the video. Look for things that are not necessarily related to the surgery like information about the staff and the Dr.’s credentials. If the staff writes or participates on promoting the surgeon that more than likely means they like their job. This says a lot about the office in general. Have a plan written down of things you might want to ask the surgeon so you get all of your questions answered. See if they have a well explained healing and post-operative wound care instructions to prepare you for the recovery. (Not every surgeon has this on their website) and it is very helpful to know what to expect.

Kindest regards

AFPS

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

+1

Since there are multiple "fillers" and procedures for lip augmentation or lip enhancement, no single one is "the best".  I individualize the procedure to fit the patients needs.  The best surgeon for this is someone who is trained in all aspects of Plastic Surgery including reconstructive and cosmetic.  Look for a surgeon who is Board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  This Board is the only one that requires training in both cosmetic and reconstructive surgery and requires a residency that is regulated by the Residency Review Committee of the American Board of Medical Specialties as the "core specialty".

Mobile Plastic Surgeon

+1

I have performed many Lip Augmentations, over the past 20 years and published a scientific paper on the benefits of the various methods.  Fillers, like Restylane and Juvederm are temporary but effective.  For more permanent Lip Augmentation, IMHO, Alloderm Lip Implants are the "gold standard" and I have used them for about 15 years.

Plastic and Cosmetic surgery is an art form however, the aesthetics of beauty are not taught during plastic and cosmetic surgery training IMO and as such you must, as a consumer, find a surgeon who has sound aesthetic judgement.  For the lips, there's a very imporatnt proportion of the upper to lower lip size that makes the lips full and attractive.  When this is violated, the lips look ducky, over-filled or distorted. 

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Lip Augmentation

+1

In planning lip augmentation it may be best to start with the procedure with the least risk of  complications. This would be fillers rather than surgery. The only current FDA approved filler for lips on the market is Restylane and it does amazingly well as a stand alone procedure. Other fillers are also available but there are some that should never be used in the lips.  You need to look at examples of lips done by your dermatologic surgeon to see if you like their work and aesthetic eye for beauty. Do your homework and be sure your doctor is well trained in this field. Lips can either look amazing and natural or odd and artificial when they are augmented so choose carefully!

Boulder Dermatologist

Surgeon for lip enhancement

+1
Schedule appointments with one or more board certified plastic surgeons in your area to present your desired changes, discuss possible treatments, rationale and indications for each of these possibilities, expected cost, alternatives, potential complications, etc. This process will educate you, and prepare you to make the decision that will best meet your needs.

Web reference: http://feelbeautiful.com

Lip augmentation

+1

Lip augmentation with surgery or filler really depend supon what you need done. Without an exam it is difficult to say.

How to choose your physician for lip augmentation

+1

Fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane have many advantages over implants. One obvious advantage is that surgery is not required. Another is that you can get either a rapid or a gradual correction depending upon how many syringes you have injected and you can decide as you go exactly how much correction looks good. Over the years, touch up treatments are constantly being modified to fit the changing face. The effectiveness of your treatment depends upon your physician’s ability to visualize the desired changes and to select and skillfully administer the best treatments alone or in combination. Since every face is different, the experience and technique of your physician injector is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result. Always ask to see before and after pictures of patients they have personally injected. If possible, look for someone who is on the medical education faculty for one of the facial fillers. If they have been selected to train other physicians how to treat the aging face they are likely to be good, experienced injectors.

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/cosmetic-dermatology/juvederm/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip augmentation, be careful!

+1

Avoid implants and find a plastic and reconstructive surgeon that can explain the potential complications of interventions such as implants and permanent injectables that have ruined many patients lives.  My recommendations are stick to fat or a hyaluronic acid based filler- no implants!

all the best,

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Web reference: http://www.rianmaercksmd.com/before-after-photos/Facial-Surgery/Lip-Augmentation/

Lip Enhancement is an art form which demands a surgeon with a great aesthetic eye.

+1

Your lip enhancement surgeon should have a lot of experience in lips and be doing implants as well as fillers and do them under local anesthesia.  Fillers run $550/syringe and implants run $1500-2000/implant.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Web reference: http://www.drdavidhansen.com/lip-enhancement/index.php

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.