Should I Choose Fraxel Repair or Restore for Acne Scars (Asian Female)?

I am Asian,27,female.I have some deep Acne scars,and just finished the 4th fraxel restore a month ago.If I wanna achieve the best result,regardless of the time and money,(but safty is always important!I dont wanna leave any new scars by the treatment.)Should I continue to do fraxel restore or choose repair instead?How many fraxel restore are equal to one repair according to ur experience?THX!!

It depends what kind of acne scars

+2

If you can stretch the skin of the scar and find that the scar disappears, then Fraxel Restore can work quite well if not equally as well as Repair if there have been enough treatments.  The numerb fo Restore treatments to Repair treatments is a million dollar question.  No one knows.  However, if the scars do not disappear when you manually stretch the skin, then I would agree with Dr. Persky that your best bet is the Repair.  Multiple treatments are better than one, but sooner or later you run into the law of diminshed returns.

Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel repair Versus Fraxel restore for Acne Scarring in Asian Skin

+2

Hi Ice,

Fraxel repair is the best laser treatment currently available for the treatment of acne scars.  The main risk for Asian skin is post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH).  Should PIH occur, fortunately with time and proper treatment it always resolves.  One repair treatment will give you more improvement than 8 to 10 restore treatments.  In fact, I am not sure that you can have enough restore treatments to match one repair treatment.  I inform all of my acne scar patients that they may require multiple repair treatments for best results.

Most importantly choose your treating physician most carefully.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Fraxel restore vs. fraxel repair for acne scarring

+1

I am not aware of any study that did multiple side-by-side comparisons on same patients with both Fraxel Repair (0ne treatment) on one side  and a series of Fraxel Restore treatments on the other side. Fraxel Repair has a slightly greater risk of scarring and both the Repair and Restore have a risk of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Acne scars can improve but they won't go away entirely.  There are limited numbers of Fraxel Repair treatments that you can have safely.  Fraxel Restore can be repeated numerous times with improvement.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Choose a doctor with many lasers and extensive experience treating acne scar,

+1

Don't focus on the laser, focus on an expert dermatologist or plastic surgeon who specializes in the treatment of acne scars and also a doctor who regularly uses all of the available lasers to treat acne scars,

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon