How to choose best doctor for the results you want?

I am very afraid of surgery but I want it very badly! I want a doctor that will cater to my needs.What's the recovery time? How to choose best doctor? How will I get the results I want? How much is usual cost for tip reduction, nasal reconstruction? Please help!! Also how much is usual doctors consultation fee?

How to choose the right surgeon

+2
Hello sweetyn90
Thank you for your email.
It is very confusing for patients out there to know how to get the right advice.
My opinion is, like anything else, do you research. I believe you should choose a specialist who is a Plastic Surgeon. We have many year of specialist training behind us, and we belong to accredited Societies, like ASPS (American or Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons).

Check out his website. That will give you a feel for the surgeon. Does the website educate you, and put you at ease? The tone of the website will probably reflect the type of Surgeon. So, if the website is very 'flashy', then your Plastic Surgeon probably is as well. This may suit you, or you may prefer to consult with a different type of Plastic Surgeon. Ask around, if you can. Your local doctor may have a surgeon that he refers to.

If you are asking for a specialist's opinion, expect to pay a fee. You are paying for his Plastic Surgery specialist training and skills in giving you the opinion. He should answer all those questions you have. If you do not feel comfortable with this Plastic Surgeon, obtain more than 1 opinion.

I wish you well in your search.

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

+2
First, I want to assure you it's very normal to have fears regarding rhinoplasty surgery.  Second, we embark upon this work to help people and make people happy.  That's what it's all about.  As long as a patient has realistic expectations, we can achieve very high levels of patient satisfaction.  The recovery time varies depending upon the amount of work that needs to be done on a particular nose and the approach taken.  In general, there is some bruising that lasts for 1-2 weeks.  Swelling of the nose is mostly gone after 3-4 weeks, but some swelling persists up to a year or longer.  Nonetheless, the majority  will see an improvement when the cast comes off after a week, but there is variability here. 
 You will need to seek consultation with a facial aesthetic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty for your best result.  The way to get the best possible result is to choose a surgeon with whom you are comfortable and who shares your aesthetic goals.  Make sure you view their before and after photos, and that they have answered all your questions to your satisfaction.  The cost varies by area, but in New York, rhinoplasty costs including facility and anesthesia usually average around $8,000- 10,000. Consultation fees vary as well.  They average approximately $200 or so.  I hope this helps, and best of luck.

A. Joshua Zimm, MD

Rhinoplasty specialist

+1

There are many things to look at in a rhinoplasty specialist such as the experience of the surgeon, how much  of their practice they have devoted to rhinoplasty, board certification, ratings, reviews, testimonials and before after photo gallery. For more information on rhinoplasty please see the link below  to our " Patient's  Complete Guide to a Rhinoplasty" and  extensive rhinoplasty photo gallery

How to choose a doctor for my nose

+1

If you are healthy and want to change your nose then the only additional step is to find someone you trust and has experience.  I walk my patients through a step by step analysis, preparation and execution that has worked for me and my patients for several years.  You need to meet different surgeons in order to be able to selct the one that fits on several levels.

Theodore Diktaban, MD, FACS

How to choose best doctor

+1

There is no one answer to this. Many of us have years of experience in doing noses and can show photos of patients we have done. Some of us do not charge for a consultation. Fees for the surgery vary -- the fee does not indicate the quality of the surgeon, some poor surgeons charge huge fees and some well qualified surgeons charge reasonable rates. Schedule some consultations and see for yourself. Pick a surgeon who will talk to you and answer your questions.

Good luck

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

+1
You really have to be a detective on this one.  Do your research and look at the body of work of the surgeon you choose. 

Find a plastic surgeon with elite credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Costs

+1

I would call ASPS and get the names of several PS's in your area and then call their offices for a consultation and see if there are any consultation fees.  Then I would go on mor then one appointment and find the MD you feel most comfortable with to do your surgery.

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon