How Would Cholecystectomy Scar Affect Abdominoplasty?

Hi. I have an old cholecystectomy scar approximately 9 inches long my upper abdomen, i would like to know what are your thoughts about how this may affect my suitability for abdominoplasty?

I have lost a large amount of weight (10 stones = 140 lbs) and was wondering how an abdominoplasty may need to be modified to accomodate this scar. Many Thanks.

Jane

Right upper abdominal scar affecting a tummy tuck

+2

Dear Bluegirluk,

These scars do play a significant role with the safety of a traditional tummy tuck, as they can interfere with the blood supply. If your cholecystectomy scar position is low (near your belly button), occasionally you can modify the tummy tuck so that this scar is the initiation of the tummy tuck, and then moved down. This will give you a slightly higher position of the resultant tummy tuck scar, but it is safer. The other option is to do a reverse tummy tuck, where the cholecystectomy scar is extended across to the other side of your abdomen to remove the skin in an upward direction. I have full descriptions of these options on my web site's FAQ page.

Dr.B

Cholecystectomy scar and possible abdominoplasty

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.

The scar from your gall bladder surgery does change the blood supply in the area. An abdominoplasty may still be possible with some modifications of the "typical" technique.

It may be possible to still do an abdominoplasty with the trade-off of a higher scar than is typical.

There is an operation called a "reverse abdominoplasty" which may be an option.

With the amount of weight you have lost please seek a consultation with a member of ASAPS or ASPS who is experienced in surgery after weight loss. There are a number of factors to consider to optimize your results and safety.

John E. Gross, MD