If Rib Cartilage is Used For My Rhinoplasty, How Long Will it Last?

If I choice the rub cartilage to use for my rhinoplasty how many years will it last

Rib cartilage for rhinoplasty. It will last a lifetime!

+1

Rib cartilage whne harvested from you will last a lifetime.

Multiple studies have shown that the rib cartilage that has been radiated such as the case with cadaver rib cartilage graft will resorb to a varying degree.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Sajjadian

Rib cartilage for rhinoplasty

+1

If you are using your own rib cartilage in your rhinoplasty, it usually last for the rest of your life. If cadaver rib cartilage is used, which is rarely used, it has a higher rate of resorption. Good luck! 

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Survival of Rib Cartilage when Used in Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

Cartilage harvested from the patient's own tissues, including from the rib, usually lasts a lifetime. You will know 6-8 weeks after the surgery.

Rib cartilage

+1

Autologous rib cartilage( your own) will last forever.  Just an FYI, rib cartilage can warp( bend) and may resorb a  bit over time.

Rib cartilage duration

+1

If your own rib cartilage is used, it will last permanently.  If radiated (cadaver) rib is used it may or may not last.

Sam Naficy, MD

Rib Graft Rhinoplasty Volume Retention

+1

Rib cartilage grafts to the nose are generally stable in volume once healed. Depending upon how they are harvested and shaped, their problems are more of warping and midline stability than they are about volume loss over time. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Rib cartilage for rhinoplasty

+1

Morning lagmay

Rib cartilage will last forever but there will be some shrinkage of the graft in the first 6 to 9 months and then some subtle changes to it over the next year or so.  It's a great material for rhinoplasty depending on what you're needs are.  If we knew a little more about your case we could tell you more about the pro's and con's of different grafts.

Take care

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Rib cartilage should not be used in Rhinoplasty as it has a tendency to dissolve unevenly over time making it unrelaible as a nasal implant IMO.  

Rhinoplasty with rib cartilage.

+1

Rhinoplasty with rib cartilage lasts forever once the initial healing is done. There is usually no need to go to the rib since most patients have enough cartilage in their septum or ears to do the job with a lot less pain.