Best Laser or Light Treatment for Juvenile Acne?

My 12 year old daughter has been developing acne lesions on her face(currently mild) and back(severe with + dark pigmented scars) in 2 months. Both me and my husband have a history of sever acne and have been treated with Accutane years ago. My husband's face and back is severely scared. My daughter is on regime of Cleanser+BP+Moisturizer that has helped her face somewhat better than her back. What is the best choice of laser or light treatment for active acne for he (note pics)?

Acne treatment for a teen

+2

The most important step to take is to see a dermatologist for acne treatment.  Even if you want to avoid oral medications, there are good topical medications that can significantly improve the breakouts on the back and face.  In our office we have blue light, Levulan photodynamic therapy and the Smoothbeam laser.  I don't think any are a good choice on the back.  For the face the Smoothbeam laser results last longest and also help with scarring.  All laser and light treatments are not covered by your insurance, and must be performed multiple times.  Another good reason to consider further medical treatment for the acne.

Hope that helps!

Madeline Krauss

Boston Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser therapy for acne

+2

As Dr Lack suggests, the use of Levulan applied to the affected area, followed by the appropriate laser (Blu light or IPL), and now perhaps Red light, is followed by significant improvement when used once a month for at least several months.

Miami Dermatologist

Photodynamic Therapy using laser activation is the best laser treatment for acne

+2

Photodynamic Therapy using laser activation is the best laser treatment for acne. The activated light therapy will shrink the oil glands and act as an antiinflammatory agent.

Chicago Dermatologist