Does Chlorine Affect Laser Hair Removal Results?

Im 16 & I swim competitively, 14hrs a week. I want laser hair removal on my bikini line to avoid shaving and getting razor burn/ ingrown hairs that is constantly visible. Would swimming in the chlorine affect the treatment the way sun exposure does?

Chlorine and laser hair removal

+1

Chlorine doesn't affect the efficacy of laser hair removal at all. The only thing I ask patients to do before (and in between) laser hair removal treatments is not to pluck, wax, or bleach the hair in the treatment areas. You can shave as much as you want to before and in between visits; I advise shaving the night before or morning of the treatment. Also, over time (with multiple treatments), when the hair no longer grows in the treated areas, you will no longer have to put up with ingrown hairs and razor burns. It's a win-win situation. Good luck with your swimming!

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Does Chlorine Affect Laser Hair Removal Results

+1

Chlorine doesn't affect laser hair removal or results. It doesn't have an affect on the bulb of the hair follicle, or the skin color, which is why it doesn't matter. If you swim a lot in the sun, it will be important for you to wear really good sun protection/sunscreen before your treatments, as tan skin definitely can affect the laser!