Chipped Teeth with Root Canal. One Dentist Say Crown Might Not Be Possible Another Suggest Post and Core?

Hi One of my back teeth had a root canal (top 3rd from the back) just over a year ago and half of it has chipped off (another tooth had root canal over 10yrs and still fine). Went and saw a couple of dentists. one of them said probably wont be able to put a crown on it and said can fill it up with a filling (but won't last long). Another dentist said can do a post and core with a emax crown. neither has suggested an implant. So confused, What would you recommend?

Root canaled tooth chipped

+1

Any tooth with a root canal becomes brittle and can fracture much easier than one that has not had it nerve and vascular system removed ( that is what root canaled tooth is) .

the front teeth are often not crowned since they are not chewing teeth like molars are. If a dentist says he can restore it with post and crown and e max crown , DO IT.

Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Chipped tooth with Root canal

+1

A tooth with a root canal does become for brittle.  Without seeing an xray of the tooth it is hard to give a definitive answer.  I would probably recommend a crown

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Chipped Tooth

+1

The tooth in question could be beyond repair via traditional crown and bridge. Without seeing the ttoh in person would be hard to give you an accurate answer for your case. But if a patient walked into my office with a similar issue we would discuss all the possible options including pros and cons.

From info you have given the best long term scenario probably is an implant with an implant crown placed afterwards to restore the tooth. If the tooth is saveable, a post and core is probably in order with a full coverage crown. If there is no infection, no periodontal disease in area and your hygiene is good the post/crown is the tooth is indeed saveable.

Best of luck.

Marielaina Perrone DDS

Henderson Cosmetic Dentist

Marielaina Perrone, DDS
Henderson Cosmetic Dentist

Chipped Root Canal Tooth

+1

First of all, any tooth that has Root Canal Therapy does become more brittle, and that is why it is usually recommended to place a crown on it right away. That being said, it is very hard to answer your question without seeing a photo of the tooth as well as an X-ray. However, if the bone support is adequate, and there is adequate tooth structure available, and there is no periodontal infection, and no other complicating factors, then a post and crown would be my suggestion. If there are any of the above complications, however, then an extraction followed by an implant would be a stronger and longer lasting solution.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist