Should I Consider Chin Surgery? (photo)

I'll get straight to the point. I'm so embarrassed and self conscious on my chin. I'm looking into cosmetic surgery to correct it, but I want a little more information. What kind of surgery would be involved? (The pictures don't really do it as much justice as in person.) How much does this usually cost? And how long does it take to recover? Thanks.

Chin Implant vs Osteotomy

+2

Your chin deficiency can be treated either by a chin implant or a chin osteotomy. Given your young age, I would strongly consider moving your chin bone forward. It may cost more with a longer recovery but it will also more effectively move the mentalis muscle and all of the soft tissues forward, solving your lip incompetence and lower lip strain. Plus you will not ever have to worry about any future problems with an implant.

Chin surgery or not?

+2

From your pictures, I'd recommend you see a plastic surgeon who specializes in craniofacial surgery.  It appears that you have a long lower face (bottom of your nose to chin) and are straining to keep your lips together.  Usually, this coincides with abnormalities in your bite, as well.  The best functional and cosmetic treatment is an orthognathic procedure (jaw surgery) to reposition both jaws and teeth into a more harmonious position.

A chin only surgery would cover up the real problem and would not likely give you the cosmetic result you are interested in.

Hope this helps,

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

Chin surgery

+2

Hello, considering chin surgery, you should undergo a thorough facial analysis and have your occlusion checked as well. From what i can see on the pictures, there is not only a retrusion of the chin or mandible, the height seems also to be increased. So a vertical height reduction, plus chin or mandible advancement surgery may help to balance the appearance. Sometimes the upper jaw needs to be taken in consideration as well. I recommend to consult an experienced craniofacial or orthognathic surgeon.  He or she should discuss all the options with you, and which of them suits you best. 

Best of luck

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation

+2

Based on your photographs a chin augmentation or advancement would improve your facial balance.A chin implant is done as an outpatient procedure typically I perform the implant placement in the office operating room.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Chin Implant Surgery

+2

Based on your photos, you would be a good candidate for a chin implant.  In many cases, this procedure can be done in an office setting under local anesthesia.  We recommend our patients apply ice to the chin as much as possible for 48 hours. Patients usually go back to work in 4 or 5 days after surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Chin surgery

+2

Thanks for including the pictures, as they are helpful.  I would say that a chin augmentation (chin implant surgery) would improve the balance of your face.  The immediate recovery for this surgery should not be more than a week.  The costs would vary by surgeon but I would say the minimum cost would be around $3000.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin surgery

+1

Chin implants come in a variety of sizes and shapes.  The most common material used is silastic or hard silicone.  This is what we have used in our practice for over 20 years.  The chin is numbed with local anesthesia and the implant is inserted through a small ½ inch submental incision and placed directly over the bone.  The size and shape of the implant is determined at the time of the consultation with your facial plastic surgeon.  The cost for a chin implant is roughly $3,100 under local anesthesia.  Most patients are able to return to work in approximately 10 days after their surgery.

Chin Implant is easier way to go

+1

Many patients cannot afford the significant costs of Mandibular-maxillary surgery and are put off by the longer  healing time involved (4-6 weeks). I would suggest chin implant procedure to balance your profile and get your confidence up. This procedure is outpatient with a 1 week recovery and runs ~ $3-5 K. Most of my patients find this is a far better solution to their chin profile improvement than jaw surgery. Dr. G.

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation

+1

It does appear from the photos you submitted that you do have a deficiency in your chin in terms of anterior and posterior projection or profile view as well as deficiency in size from frontal views. Other areas to consider are whether or not your occlusion, that is, whether your teeth fit together properly or not as this will determine whether you would better be suited for a chin implant or orthognathic surgery. I would seek several consultations in your area.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon