Genioplasty to Increase Chin Vertical Height?

I would like to know if in my case, Genioplasty--cutting the bone and putting it forward--would increase the vertical height of the chin? I want to avoid adding vertical height on my chin. I want to reduce it.

Avoid chin implants! use a tailored sliding genioplasty

+3

Chin implants simply never achieve the results of a genioplasty.   A well trained Plastic and reconstructive surgeon can achieve precisely planned lengthening in the vertical direction as well as advancement by deisgning the type of osteotomy.  Chin implants are easy and big money makers but should be avoided in young peopleas your chances of complications both early and late are too high for my taste.  They also cause premature aging of the lower third of the face and bone atrophy.  The chin should NEVER be reduced to accomodate an implant and implants cannot achieve increases in vertical height.  If tyhey are used to achieve vertical height short teerm complications including displacement and extrusion are likely.  Consult with a plastic and reconstructive surgeon with craniofacial expertise to learn more.

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Chin implant vs. genioplasty

+2

Genioplasty is a procedure that moves the bone forward and will increase projection. However, a chin implant, which is simpler and a much smaller procedure will achieve the same goal, and in many cases is more advantageous. Each one does not actually increase measurablle vertical height. However, a genioplasty can provide the appearance of increasing the vertical dimension of the lower portion of the face. A chin implant can be placed in a way which will increase projection but not produce as much apparent increase in vertical height.

William J. Binder, MD

Vertical chin height

+1

Depending on the type of implant used and the placement the surgeon can choose whether or not to increase vertical height. The same is true with genioplasty.

Sam Naficy, MD

Genioplasty or Chin Implant to move chin forward without increasing vertical height

+1

This can be done but can be tricky. Anytime you project the chin forward, because the chin is usually angled in a inferior direction and not horizontally straight (you can see this by using two mirrors and looking at your side profile), Any lengthening of the chin will cause some vertical lengthening. You can avoid this by making some adjustments to the chin implant, by tailoring the bottom of the chin implant. The other more advanced way is to reduce the vertical chin height by taking the bone down in the vertical dimension and then augmenting it more horizontally. In general genioplasty is favored among plastic surgeons due to the easier procedural steps, less complications, and less operation time to name just a few reasons.

I hope that is helpful.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin improvement with a Genioplasty

+1

There are many ways to improve the contour of your lower face. If you are looking for improvement in the chin, your can perform a genioplasty or use a chin implant. A sliding genioplasty which pulls the chin bone forward will improve the projection and will not increase your vertical height. It is possible to remove segment of the bone to reduce the vertical height of the chin.

T.Y. Steven Ip, MD