Will a Chin Strap After Neck Lift Surgery Aggravate Psoriasis?

If I have a neck lift for skin folds, will a chin strap really be needed afterwards?

Neck Lift/Facelift and Psoriasis

+1
Most important is to listen and follow your Plastic Surgeon's instructions and in your particular case have your dermatologist that manages your psoriasis weigh in.
Probably the simplest way to find out is to try out wearing a chin strap before surgery and see if your psoriasis is worse.

In my practice my patients are have a light supportive dressing placed in the operating room following their neck lift of face lift and worn for 2-3 days. I do not require a chin strap for all but if there happens to be excessive swelling then I will occasionally suggest its use.

However when just liposuction is performed in the upper neck, a compression garment is recommended for the following reasons:
:
  1. It restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure.
  2. It decreases the amount of bruising.
  3. It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking.

Irritation of Psoriasis by Post-Op Chin Strap

+1

I agree with the previous statements, chin straps are very helpful to reduce swelling after a neck lift; however, being that you have psoriasis I would contact your dermatologist prior to surgery to have a plan in place should this problem arise. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

How will a compression garment affect my psoriasis?

+1

I find compression garments to be very helpful in expediting the resolution of swelling following a neck lift. Regarding a history of psoriasis, I would follow up with your dermatologist to find out if a chin strap will aggravate your psoriasis or any other skin conditions you may have.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Neck straps and psoriasis

+1

If your psoriasis tends to get worse with bandage wraps or tight-fitting clothing, then yes, it may get worse.

Sam Naficy, MD

Chin strap after neck lift could aggravate your psoriasis

+1

It could aggravate your psoriasis but I would take steps to prevent this. I would discuss this with your dermatologist, first of all, to have a plan in place. But I would think that a medium potency steroid applied prior to your neck lift for about 1-2 weeks may be what will be needed. The neck lift strap is really important for your healing afterward and you will not want to forego this.  Drains also play a major role and if anything could limit the need for a chin strap. Below is an example of a video that helps to answer this question for you to watch and a link to see more informative videos:

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Garment and Psoriasis?

+1

Whether a chin strap is used or not after neck surgery will depend on your  plastic surgeon's  routinely. He/she may be willing to forgo the garment given your history of psoriasis. You may also want to check with your dermatologist who treats the psoriasis routinely  whether the use of the surgical garment could exacerbate the psoriasis.