Chin sticks out, what can be done to fix it? (photo)

I think my chin sticks out way too far. Especially when smiling. I had braces/orthodontics as a child and am pretty sure I don't have an overbite.

Chin sticks out, what can be done to fix it?

+1
   Chin reduction while addressing the soft tissue envelope would produce a very reasonable improvement.

Submental Chin Reduction Approach

+1

Your chin can be reduced and would need to be done by a submental reduction approach. The key management in your chin reduction is the soft tissue excess that will exist once the bone is reduced. (burred down) A backward sliding genioplasty results in very unfavorable soft tissues redundancies under the chin because of this issue particularly when the amount of chin reduction is as significant as yours.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Protruding chin

+1

You 'may' have had extractions with the orthodontics as a youth; meaning the lower lip 'falls back' against the retracted teeth and 'relatively' makes the chin look prominent. In any case, a genioplasty which changes the 'front to back' strength combined with increasing the vertical height, can change its appearance.

There are more comprehensive approaches, but this is the simplest.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Protruding chin

+1

A genioplasty could be performed by a PS or oral surgeon via incisions inside the mouth to set back your chin prominence . You are a good candidate for the surgery and it is a fairly straight forward procedure

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Protruding chin

+1

dear 1010

I agree with you that your chin sticks out further than what it should. Not having radiographs or CT scans limits how much information I can provide you with regards to your dental occlusion and facial skeletal. That being said a reduction genioplasty would help your profile. I would also like to know if you had extractions at any point prior or during braces. You may also have a hypoalveolarism which is not commonly discussed. This can also manifest itself to appear as a protruding chin when in actuality it's the portion,of the bone that the teeth are attached to that is deficient or not in correct position this is treated with a sub apical osteotomy which moves the tooth bearing bone. Good luck.

Be well

Dr M

Manolis Manolakakis, DMD
Middletown Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon