Silicone Chin Implant Absorbed by Bone?

I had a silicon chin implant 11 years ago, but now my chin looks like the same size as before the implant. Could it be due to bone absorption? Do I need to remove it and replace a new one? Is there any other options? Is there any risk if I don't take it out? Thanks.

Decreased Correction of Chin 11 Years After Implant

+4

You are right, there may be changes happening to the chin even after placement of a permanent silastic implant. your chin is probably not where it would be without the implant but there are 4 factors to consider:

- bone resorption (usually 1 to 2 mm, but it may be more)

- normal reduction of bone thickness

- normal reduction of volume of the overlying soft tissue chin pad

- droopiness of the chin soft tissues.

Placement of a larger size implant is a relatively straight forward option. Alternatively, injectable fillers or fat grafting may be helpful. Of course, a careful examination comes first!

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Some bone absorption of silicone chin implant

+4

Silicone chin implants could over time exert pressure on the bone leading to minimal bone absorption. In most cases, you can not detect this clinically. An evaluation by your plastic surgeon could help to detect this finding. Best of luck!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Chin implant changes over time

+3

You did not indicate if you went back to the original surgeon, what your age is, and if there have been any dental problems in the intervening time. Natural changes do occur in the chin as we all age and if you chin has lost some fatty tissue or is drooping (ptotic) this can give the appearance of decrease in the size or projection of the chin. Only after an evaluation of what these changes are could a plan be made to address your concerns. Yes, a different size and/or shape of implant could be performed. But there may be other alternatives to address the bony structure itself. Just leaving the chin implant in place should pose no risk but an Xray should be done to delineate if there have been any bony changes surrounding the implant.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Yes bone resorption can occur with a chin implant

+2

You are correct bone resorption can occur with a chin implant,

The exact reasons for this are not known,

Newer implants have been designed that are either fixed to the bone or have a porous structure that promotes tissue ingrowth and is claimed to minimize bone resorption.

Going with a larger implant may provide cosmetic improvements but it may lead to further bone resoprption.

Silicone chin impalnts have a long history of safety, and reliability.

+2

The mere presence of your chin implant is not a reason to remove it, unless it's causing you problems. There is no risk of leaving it in place if it's not bothering you.

If you're unhappy with your appearance, you should consult your surgeon. If that's not possible, you should see a board-certified facial plastic surgeon, experienced with chin implant surgery for an in-depth consultation.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Small amount of bone resorption

+1

Yes, indeed, over time there is a small amount of bone resorption when an implant is placed on it. The current implant that you have can be removed and a larger implant placed to further balance facial chin aesthetics. There is no risk associated with taking out the implant.