Chin Scar and Visible Hanging Lumps Hang Down at Each End of Scar- Options? (photo)

Can anyone tell me what is going on with BOTH ends of the chin scar from my neck lift surgery? At each end of the scar under my chin, there is a pocket of fat that hangs down and is VERY visible when I look straight on. I went for correctional surgery a year ago to correct this problem, but the problem still remains. It's been over a year, so I have been patient. Any advice on what I can tell my surgeon to do to correct this? Thanks.

Chin Scar and deformity after "neck lift"

+2

Dear jlosc,

You have had skin excised under your chin and one attempt at scar revision.

You are not my patient, but in my expert opinion, this is not treated by another simple second attempt simple scar revision. Such a plan was already unsuccessful.

I can not say exactly what I would suggest to your surgeon without having seen and felt the problem. However, it seems that the scar is functioning as a tight band. The skin beyond the end of the scar is in excess. Personally, I rarely excise excess skin under the neck via a submental incision. The problem is that extending the scar further laterally may make it more visible. It is most likely the best option. Imagine that the scar would extend at 45 degrees from the current end of the scar heading posteriorly.

It is likely that this can be improved.

Best wishes

Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Chin scar dogears

+2

What you have are dogears, meaning that the scar is bunching up. This can be repaired via a simple scar revision procedure.  I would recommend that you contact your surgeon, if you still have confidence, and request that the scars be appropriately revised.  Best of luck!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Neck lift scar

+2

This is a typical appearance of a scar with bunched skin at the ends, referred to as Dog Ears. This is easily reparable with a simple scar revision. 

Mark Samaha, MD
Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin scar appearance

+2

The ends of your scars are actually a result of excess skin as opposed to fat. The skin is bunched up and has formed what is referred to as "dog ear" deformities. These deformities can usually be fixed by doing a scar revision procedure that removes the excess skin.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Chin Scar and Visible Hanging Lumps Hang Down at Each End of Scar- Options?

+2

These are called "dog ears" and represent a relative bunching of excess skin when the two sides of the incision are uneven.  The bottom, of the Neck Lift, is longer than the upper line and thus creates this uneven sides.  A simple scar revision of the ends should resolve the issue IMHO.

Bunched skin at end of scar

+1

This can be improved but it requires making your scar even longer, by removing the redundant tissue at either end of your scar.

Sam Naficy, MD